• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Quest Micro Maxx Super Value Starter Set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWolman

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these that they're looking to sell?

This is the Quest Micro Maxx starter set with a bunch of different models and motors with the launch pad.

Hoping to find one, good to launch at a nearby field with the kids -

Thanks

Dan

I think Quest might still be selling these through their website.

I have mixed feelings about these. Normally I am a huge fan of "starter sets" and I do think they are usually a good idea. This Quest set had a lot of advantages and benefits.

OTOH, this starter set includes a bunch of overweight (and poor performing) plastic rockets. Yes, there are some others in the set that fly pretty well. But I have to think that for the same money, you could buy a whole bunch of MMX parts (from Fliskits, and other vendors) and make your own MMX rocket designs that perform MUCH better.

The starter set includes a launcher....that you really don't need. There have been lots of people who posted here on TRF (and probably many other places on the web) how to make an adaptor that slips onto your existing launcher and holds an MMX-sized launch rod, and uses an existing electric launch controller.

The Quest MMX igniters that were included with the starter sets that I saw (I bought several) were the little plastic "blocks" that everyone was having so much trouble with. I can't say that I loved the stupid things, and I never got "good" at using them. I would recommend the approach shown by Micromeister, buying a roll of 30-40 gauge nichrome, cutting a bunch of short lengths of wire, bending them in little Vs, and inserting them in the MMX nozzles the old-fashioned way.

Long story short, you might do just as well (or better) spending your money on a slightly different set of supplies. You would get to design and build, you would have a smoother launch operation, and you would get far better flight performance.

Just my 2 cents-

The launch pad that is included in the Micromaxx Launch Set is a slightly modified version of Quest's standard launch pad, and is a really handy, lightweight set-up to bring when all you are planning to launch is Micromaxx. It is far more stable and adjustable than the very clever but not always steady Silo launcher that was originally designed for them. The pad is modified to use the current Q2 Micromaxx igniters, and there is no good way to use the original plug-style QMX igniters with it. I believe that the kit contains the new igniters.

The controller that is included is Quest's standard pistol-grip 9 volt model. If you don't already have one, this is a great addition to your launch equipment. Not only do you get a controller that will fire your Micromaxx motors, but in the bargain you also get a controller that will safely fire Quest's celebrated Q2G2 igniters for larger motors. You won't need to go to the trouble of rewiring another brand of launch controller so that you can have something to use with them, because you'll already have one.

When I want to just go out on the spur of the moment and launch some Micromaxx, I want to be able to have a lightweight, simple and no-fuss launch set-up ready to go. The equipment provided in the Starter Set is perfect for that.

The set of RTF rockets that are furnished with it are all flyable. Some, especially the Space Shuttle Orbiter and the UFO, are rather draggy and don't go very high, but they still turn in stable flights. Just don't expect thrilling performance from them. Indeed, all of the LPBs (Little Plastic Bricks) are perfect for backyard launching, just as advertised. You certainly won't win any 1/8A competition events with them (except for maybe spot landing), but they are OK for sport launching, and you never have to worry about having any of them fly out of sight! (I think that much of the bad rap that these models got had to do with the fact that they were released with the original, lower impulse Micromaxx I motors. They do better on the Micromaxx II motors that have been out since 2001. They are still no champs, but they don't seem to be quite so pathetic in the IIs.) Although I have many kit-type Micromaxx models, I still regularly take out my LPBs and fly them, too. My only regret with them is that I don't have a full set. Another nice thing about the plastic RTF rockets is that they are quite sturdy. I get good streamer deployments almost every time with them, too. I guess that it just takes a little bit of practice.

The Starter Set also includes a pile of motors. That's always a good thing.

Last edited:
I would like to add a couple of notes to Mark's comments:

The pistol grip controller is not only Q2G2 safe, but it can also be adapted to 12V quite easily (Quest sells an adapter, or you can go to your local Radio Shack and buy some wire and a 9V clip and make your own. The LED and piezo buzzer combo in the Quest launch contoller can handle the increased voltage quite handily.

I don't know about the last sets that Quest sold by mail, but I bought three of them from Hobby Lobby a few years back and they all came with the original plug-in igniters, and an adapter to hold the igniter. Yeah - I bought a few dozen Q2MMX igniters (they are the same as the glass bead Q2 igniters but without any pyrogen). Much easier to work with.

The LPBs can be fun, but if you really want to fly the Saturn V you'll need to extend the fins with some clear plastic - the LPB Saturn V is not very stable out of the box.

One of these sets was my entry into MicroMaxx rockets. I got mine directly from Quest during their President's Day sale in 2009. It came as Mark described, with the Q2 igniters - what is currently sold with MMX motors. I echo the comments about the pad and the controller. When gotten during one of those sales (or if you use your Quest 40% off coupon that's in your NAR Membership handbook) your total outlay is about what it would cost just for the 25 motors - so you get a pad, a controller, and the six LPBs for "free".

All that said, I can't find the MicroMax starter set (or any other starter set for that matter) on the Quest web site right now. Hmmmmmm........

So maybe it's get the launcher set ($19.19 - look under "Micro Maxx Accessories" on the Quest site), a bag of motors, and a couple of Fliskits dooHickey kits. The dooHickey is big and heavy enough that it performs about the same as the best of the six LPBs from the (now apparently defunct) Quest MicroMax starter set.

Last edited:
So maybe it's get the launcher set ($19.19 - look under "Micro Maxx Accessories" on the Quest site), a bag of motors, and a couple of Fliskits dooHickey kits. The dooHickey is big and heavy enough that it performs about the same as the best of the six LPBs from the (now apparently defunct) Quest MicroMax starter set.
Also try the Mudwasp. Or install a Micromaxx mount in a Tumble Weed.

If you're coming to the launch on Saturday, email me on Friday and I'll bring one. It's free.

Thanks to all who replied - I'm actually specifically looking for the LPB's and the pre-built Quest models, no worries when they're flown around the room by my younger children...altitude doesn't make a big difference, as long as they fly generally upwards.

Bill, thanks for the offer, I'll contact you by e-mail.

Thanks again to all!

Dan

Hey, Dan,

If Bill can't find his MMX stuff, shoot me a PM and I'll dig through my old stuff to see if I can find part of this starter setup.

I got a 'Silo Kit' as part of a bunch of donations for a TARC event I am putting on. It has few rockets plus the Silo. It looks like it is missing the the launch rod
itself but has the silo case plus the rockets (I especially like the mini saucer)

If someone wants to donate a gift certificate (to be donated to TARC teams) from one of the rocket suppliers they can have it. More than $20 and I will pay for shipping.

Back