Good Beginners Rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Johnny

Reaction score
My sons want to try model rockets. What would be some good rockets to start with. I have acres & acres of open fields to launch from. I'm on a fixed income so I don't want to go cheap, but can't afford top of the line stuff right now. My sons are 12, 9, 7. They do help me build my R/C planes, so they do know their way around the shop.

Thanks Johnny, Clay, Caleb & Chandler

If you want to avoid the plastics of the Estes E2X line, I highly recommend the FlisKits Thing-a-ma-jig and Whatchamacallit, depending on how big of a rocket you want to end up with.

Jim Flis is a frequent contributor to these forums and he is very responsive via email, so you can get any answers easily.

Fliskits Main Site

Either one is a quick and easy build, with a unique fin can, and endless possibilities for decoration.

Add a launch pad, launch controller, some engines and some cellulose insulation for wadding and you're ready for fun!

G.D.

Any skill level 1 kit should be just fine. However, if you want to keep costs down, there is no reason you can't make your own "kits" for your kids. Let them practice their gluing skills with paper towel tubes and cardstock fins. These rockets can be "finished" quite nicely with printouts from a color laser printer. Proper prep for painting these materials is tricky, but you can at least let them get some practice with basic spray paint application. There is no reason you cannot get perfectly decent flights with these simple scratch-built rockets.

There are quite a number of sites with tips on cardstock construction, and you can find plans for just about all of the classic kits on-line. Once their construction skills have developed, you can go with the nicer materials offered with the kits.

Hard to go wrong with the kits mentioned. I am a big fan of the Big Bertha, and with a larger tube, compared to many beginner rockets, is easy to prep the parachute. It has nice slow liftoffs, and is easy to find! Fliskits' Rhino and Semroc's Vega and Centurion are similarly sized, as is Quest's Big Betty.

Johnny, Clay, Caleb & Chandler,

Welcome to TRF! You found a great spot to talk rockets!

For "beginner" kits, you just can't go wrong with the FlisKits Thing-a-ma-jig and Whatchamacallit that gdiscenza was talking about. They have a very creative interlocking fin assembly system that makes them just about perfect for beginners. Another Fliskits design that is a great beginner rocket is the Rhino, because the parts can be lined up all at once on a flat work table, making fin alignment easy.

I would also have to agree with the advice to stay away from the plastic "ready-to-fly" junk. Yes, they would have you out in the yard much faster. No, they don't teach you a thing about building, or how to glue, or really, anything useful except how to waste money. (I don't like them, and if you are going to "get into" this hobby, you probably won't either.)

Estes is the brand you will probably run into if you go into a store (your local hobby shop, your local R/C store, your local Hobby Lobby, etc). Their entire line of "skill level 1" is designed for beginners. Some recommended Estes kits include:

Alpha - A really great performer on A or B or C power. The original Alpha (kit 1225) is a bit more basic, but is easy to build. The Alpha III has a plastic fin unit which simplifies assembly somewhat, but ask the hobby shop guys what glues to really use on styrene parts (Estes recommends Testor's-type "tube" glues, but they don't work very well)

Big Bertha - Relatively bigger, stays lower and slower, still a LOT of fun and another classic design. You can use B or C power; later, when you have more experience, you can pull out the motor mount and install a 24mm D or E motor mount for SPECTACULAR performance.

Cosmic Explorer - Falls into pretty much the same category as Big Bertha, but with a little more jazzy design.

Space Eagle, Vector Force, Super Alpha, Monarch, Stratocruiser, Der Red Max, Baby Bertha are all the kind of designs that would work well for you.

And pretty much anything else in the Estes catalog in skill level 1 or 2.
https://www.estesrockets.com/index.php/site/full-catalog/

If you need the launch gear to get started, watch for a "Starter Special" (also by Estes). This includes a launcher, an electrical ignition system, and a model rocket or two, enough goodies to get you started in the hobby and keep you going for a while. If you can find an older Starter Special (on a dusty back shelf?) they used to include a couple motors to get you started.
You can sometimes find a Starter Special at Wal-Mart, but at Hobby Lobby you can use a 40%-off coupon every other week.

If you need help understanding the motor identification codes, and how to select motors for your rockets, bring your questions here. And when you are looking for a few "upgrades" we'll tell you how to find a better launch rod, how to rework your electrical launch controller to work better, and how to build more rockets!

Lots of good ideas have already been suggested. Here are a couple more:

Quest Astra I (the wood finned one) - but use a Semroc or Estes 'chute in it, or a streamer - I've built two and the stock 'chutes just don't deploy as they should.

Balsa Machining Service's School Rocket (this is my personal favorite for classroom use).

Both of these have slots in the body for the balsa fins ("through the wall fins") which guarantee alignment and make the tube/fin joints MUCH stronger.

Semroc has a new line called "ready to build" that also has through-the-wall fins. Several of these - the Start in particular - would be a good choice as well.

In any case the least expensive way to get a launch pad and launch controller is to get a starter set from either Estes or Quest unless you want to create your own. There are instructions on how to do that and lots of other good stuff on the National Association of Rocketry site (www.nar.org).

You'll soon be looking for a less-expensive source for motors than the local hobby shop, too. There are a number of good mail-order suppliers that offer good deals on motors. One I have had good dealings with is AC Supply Company. I'm sure you'll get other good recommendations as well.

By the way, Semroc is right there in North Carolina.

Last edited:
Johnny,
I live in Greensboro and fly with a club based in Charlotte. We fly everything from MMX to J motors. I good friend of mine who lives in Durham has a web page with a bunch of paper rockets that you print, cut out, fold, glue and fly. Here is a link to his sighthttps://rocketry.wordpress.com/ There are some very cool rockets on there. Fliskits also has a few free rockets to download as well as some great kits.

Paul

I agree with what's been said thus far but would like to add a plug for the Semroc Boid.

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-6

Its a fairly generic kit made from leftovers parts of other kits. That means some might be 3 fins and some might be 4, with differing shapes. That allows for some variety and for each kid to have something unique.

As with all of the Semroc line, it is a very "traditional" build and will build skills.

The Flis options already mentioned are good as well. They are distinctive and different from your run on the mill fin and nose cone assortment and are hard to get wrong. I like them, especially for a quick build. I just like begining with the basics first.

Art Applewhite also has some free downloads built from cardstock. https://artapplewhite.com/123a4/index.html

They are mostly oddrocs but are good for small areas with limited recovery area. Most use aerobrake recovery and don't need chutes. I often use these for outreach programs since they are almost free and have managed to launch in some pretty tight areas AND get most of them back. Think UFOs.

I hope this helps.

Johnny, Clay, Caleb, Chandler,

First, welcome to TRF and welcome to rocketry :) You're going to love both!

The Whatchamacallit and Thing-a-ma-Jig kits are great for beginners and would be great choices if you want the kids to do most (all?) of the work.

Each of our beginner kits (skill level 1) serve a purpose to teach different aspects of getting introduced to rocketry, depending on what you need to learn. I encourage you to look through our beginner kits (follow this link.) and see what the features of each kit is to see which one best fits your needs.

Ask questions, build/fly rockets and enjoy! That's what it's all about :)

jim

You can print as many coupons as you want, but you can only use them one at a time.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

They usually have a pretty good assortment of Estes kits, motors, and several starter specials. It's a good way to get started in the hobby and save money at the same time

There are a lot of kits out there that would be good for beginners but if you're getting started, using the 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon to get an Estes starter set might be the way to go if you need launch equipment. Also check Walmart because sometimes there's some good deals on the clearance aisle.

I really like Fliskits Thing-a-ma-Jig for beginners and usually suggest that for first timer builders in our 4-H group.

Here are some links from our FAQ'a on budget rocketry:

Where can I find ideas for rocketry on a limited budget?
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=1086
https://www.rocketreviews.com/feature...atured20.shtml
https://www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20...etryPage8.html

Welcome to TRF!

Our favorite easy to assemble rocket (great for the 7yro) is the Estes Metalizer. It's larger diameter and length like the Big Bertha, flies great on B or C engines and is easy to spot due to its reflective finish.

I'd also recommend the Fliskits Caution Rocket for all of your boys. Best of all, it'll cost you about $.15 to build. They fly great on A through C engines but I'd stick to A or B if you want to fly them again. C motors will put it out of site.

We also build a bunch of rockets out of toilet paper and paper towel tubes. All components are made by hand including engine tubes, centering rings and nose cones. Many of the necessary skills for these will be learned by using card stock modeling techniques.

The pic is of my girl w/a couple of Caution Rockets. Senor Flis might recognize this one.

The Pink rocket is a simple tube fin design out of one paper towel tube and a couple a couple of tp tubes and an easter egg. It has well over 30 flights on it and is just starting to show some wear. It is aptly named "Poop Tube". We also have one that flies strictly on 13mm motors.

The last pic is is a two stage paper towel rocket that takes off on three C motors to a D motor for the second stage.

The limits are only your imagination and desire to try.

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Last edited:
The one I always recommend is the Estes Flash launch kit.

It's widely available, builds quickly, is sturdy, doesn't fly too high on A8-3s which makes it perfect for park launches, and lastly, because I have two of them that have never disappointed me.

From the economics side of things, you get the rocket, the launchpad, and the launch controller all for under $30 at the local hobby shop. Paid only $17 a piece for my two birds a Wally World but they no longer carry Estes rocketry products.

The one I always recommend is the Estes Flash launch kit.

It's widely available, builds quickly, is sturdy, doesn't fly too high on A8-3s which makes it perfect for park launches, and lastly, because I have two of them that have never disappointed me.

From the economics side of things, you get the rocket, the launchpad, and the launch controller all for under $30 at the local hobby shop. Paid only $17 a piece for my two birds a Wally World but they no longer carry Estes rocketry products.

That's what I got for my 7 year old...not only does it fly well on A8-3s for park launches, but it'll scream off the pad on C6-5s...pushing 1000 feet. Capability of low flights in small areas and nice altitude if you have the space makes it very versatile.

But it is an E2X kit and if you don't want to go that route, I thought the Baby Bertha was a nice easy one that gives good flights.

I also recommend one of the Estes launch pad and rocket combos. You get everything you need to launch small rockets (except motors in some cases). And if a place sells the combo kits they almost certainly sell motors. Once you have a few flights under your belt check out Fliskits for some truly awesome rockets with fantastic construction instructions.

If you know someone with a launch pad and controller than you might just want to jump to a Fliskit right away.

Well, I have to put in my vote for the Estes Sky Writer. (Looks like a pencil:D) Easy to build, great flyer. Flies nice on A's and B's, and really rips on C's. My daughter and I got 85 flights on ours before we officially retired it. It's last launch was on a Quest C6-5, what a way to go!

We started out w/a Estes Patriot Launch Set from Wally world. We still use the Estes controller as well as a Quest controller.

IMOP the Estes launch pads are far superior to the Quest pad. As far as launch controllers are concerned I highly favor the Quest controller. I find the Quest unit to be far more ergonomic and has both audible and visual continuity signaling devises. The frosting for this unit is the ability to purchase a 12v adapter to use off a cigarette lighter or alligator clips.

Let me second Jeff's recommendation of the Estes No.2 Skywriter (pencil rocket). My son wanted this one so we built it and I must say it is probably the best overall flyer in our fleet. On a B4-4 it goes high but not too high and gives consistently great flights. The kids at the launches always think this one looks cool and it builds very quickly with no painting required. We are actually on our second one as the first was ruined in a water landing at NERRF a couple years ago.

Glenn

Did we scare the original poster away? He hasn't replied...

My first rocket when I was 12 was the venerable Estes Alpha III. I made my own launch pad from a piece of 1x12 pine, a coffee can lid for the blast deflector, and a welding rod for the launch rod. My launch controller was an extension cord and an old 12v dry cell battery. It worked, but nowadays you can get a launch set for $10, but I would recommend one of the bigger sets like the Flash for $15. You can't beat the price.

As for where to buy, if you want an online source, I highly recommend Hobbylinc.com. They have a great selection and awesome prices, and really good service. They haven't disappointed me. They carry low, mid, and some high power rockets, and motors. Here is a link to their launch sets:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/tad.htm

Also, if I were you, I would see if there's a local club you can get involved with. It's so much more fun that way, you'll see a lot of spectacular rockets and launches, and there will be lots of people to offer you help and advice. And a word of warning - rocketry is addicting!

I started model rocketry with my son about a month ago with the Estes Customizer launch starter kit. You get the parts to build 2 rockets (in 64 variations), a launch pad, and controller for about $30 from Hobbylinc.
https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1500.htm

Throw in a few motors and some recovery wadding and you're flying for under 50 bucks. The models can easily be built in a day, and once the glue sets you're ready to go. I was flying the taller one on A's to about 150' and it flew great. B's sent it to around 450' and it also did well on these flights. Yesterday evening my boy wanted to see it really go so I popped in a C that was supposed to send it to approx 1000'. It did, and that was the last we saw of it, LOL.

Lots of good options out there for beginner rockets, but the Customizer set got me all the peripherals (launch pad, controller, etc.) and 2 rockets for a good price, so I'd recommend it. Best of luck!

I will echo what many others have already said. My favorite beginner rocket is the Estes Alpha. The Alpha has all of the important components and assembly steps of bigger rockets except in a small format easily assembled by a new model builder with small hands. The Alpha helps a new model builder learn real model assembly. No pre-assembled plastic fin cans here.

As a matter of fact any of the Skill Level 1 kits make great first kits. Some of my favorite kits from my childhood are still in production: Estes Alpha, Super Alpha, Big Bertha and Der Red Max to name a few.

The first rocket my son made (with just a little coaching) was an Estes Executioner. Through the wall fins make it an easy build and it flys on Ds and Es. He was 6 when he built it.

The Estes Alpha III is almost a tradition among rocketeers as the bird they started with. It's easy to build quickly and it flies well. Most of us lose our first Alpha on Day One. That's the part that sets the hook..."Man! I wanna do that AGAIN!"

Back