%4mm monocopter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minan59

Reaction score
Last winter I built a 54mm powered monocopter using a r/c helicopter rotor blade. It was the largest one I have made at that time. I used a wooden blade, which I covered with one layer of carbon fiber cloth. It had a timer and a parachute installed for recovery. I flew it three times on an Aerotech J-250. The first two flights the parachute came out early due to centrifugal force. The third flight four shear pins managed to keep the nose cone on until the wooden helicopter blade. My friend Phil and I decide to give it another try. The new version is entirely made of carbon fiber except for the body, which is wrapped in four layers. We decided to switch motors to a CTI I-100, because it produces 300 some newtons initially and then falls off gradually from there. The Aerotech J-250 provided an even thrust for most of its duration, which caused the monocopter's rotation to continuously accelerate.We are hoping the CTI motor will get it spinning and keep it spinning without the massive rotational acceleration. The other major change is a true carbon fiber helicopter blade, which should be able to withstand more centrifugal force. Next weekend I plan to launch it at Bong, weather permitting. If it survives it will make an appearance at Midwest Power 8. Here are a couple pictures of it.
54mm monocopter 003 (Large).jpg54mm monocopter 002 (Large).jpg
IMGP1617 (Large).jpg54mm monocopter 001 (Large).jpg

I'm getting to the point of expecting to see you fly a monocopter at every launch down there. They've been a lot of fun to watch, and I can't wait to see next weekend's.

We have several people who fly monocopters at almost all of our club launches. One of the problems they have, particularly with the larger and longer burning motors is burn through the case, apparently from the centripital acceleration. Estes E9s and Ellis Mounting G20s seem particularly succespitble but it has been seen with everything from 1/2A on up.

Has this been an issue for you? Have you noticed any damage on the side of your casing facing away from the center of rotation?

If not, a lot of people down here would like more info.

Interesting monocopter, you probably could have used the pod as the balance beam. Hope to see more flight videos and photos.

I have never had a case burn through. I think black powder motors would be more susceptible because they burn from one end to another like a cigarette. AP motors burn differently, and I haven't seen the problem. I am hoping to fly this monocopter on a pban research motor in a AMW 1050 case once I get the bugs worked out. I am thinking of simple pban with 15% glitter to give it black smoke and reduce the thrust. I will have to see how it goes. We ground tested the electronics today. I attached a r/c airplane nose cone to it spun it with an electric starter. We had the timer in backwards the first time, but it works now. I am anxious for next week end to get here.

Nice! I love monocoptors! Haven't built a HPR one, though.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back