1/48th Soyuz build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blades

Reaction score
I've started work on the 1/48 Soyuz designed by Ton Noteboom. The model can be found here: https://jleslie48.com/index.html. This was actually created by Ton to be a flying model. Parts are given for both static and flight options. Provisions are made to fly it as a 24mm cluster, one engine in the main body and one in each of the strap on boosters (presumably using plugged motors). I'm going to keep it as simple as possible and just use a single motor. Stay tuned.......

soyuz.jpg

I printed this one oout a couple of years ago, and.......it's still in the "to do" pile. :eek: Good luck with it, I'm interested to see how yours turns out!

Hi Blades,

I built one of these a couple of years ago. It's really a nice model. Here is a link to the build thread over on the archive:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=41060

I didn't put the motor mounts in the boosters.

It will fly on a D12-3 although not too high, but the E18-4 is my motor of choice for this.

Good luck with the build, you won't be dissapointed with the model.

Hi Blades,

I built one of these a couple of years ago. It's really a nice model. Here is a link to the build thread over on the archive:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=41060

I didn't put the motor mounts in the boosters.

It will fly on a D12-3 although not too high, but the E18-4 is my motor of choice for this.

Good luck with the build, you won't be dissapointed with the model.

BobH48, I recall that build - it was what inspired me to try my hand at converting card models to fly. You did a great job on the Soyuz, and if I recall, the launch photos, complete with the snowy background, were great too. I built a Black Brant II as a starter, but as I said, I haven't progressed to the Soyuz. You know, maybe I'll just have to push that up to que for this winter! :cool:

BobH,
it stands to reason that you'd have built one of these. It's a beautiful bird. Your thread has certainly answered a few questions that I was mulling over. I was considering building with a E sized mount, I believe I will follow your example. The new long 24mm RMS casing might be interesting in the Soyuz.

On with the build.
I started with the boosters.
Booster 1.jpg
The base gets rolled and glued. The base plate (3X laminate of 110 cardstock) is inserted and glued into place. Two other fill the interior divided by card spacers. Even though the base is only singly ply cardstock, it's pretty sturdy given the internal structure.
Booster 2.jpg
The two cones get rolled and attached. This is where Ton's expertise really shows, The fit of all the components is about as perfect as you could ask for.
Booster 3.jpg
Next, all the little detail bits need to go on. I'll paint the insides of the nozzles once this thing is done.
finished boosters.jpg
The finished booster. Now repeat all this till you have 4.

BobH,
it stands to reason that you'd have built one of these. It's a beautiful bird. Your thread has certainly answered a few questions that I was mulling over. I was considering building with a E sized mount, I believe I will follow your example. The new long 24mm RMS casing might be interesting in the Soyuz.
Blades,

I built it with an E sized mount so I could have the option to fly on an E9. I have flown it once on an E9-4 and it was a nice flight. The model is certainly light enough but is a bit draggy. This would be a good choice for the smaller fields we fly on.

It really scoots on the E18-4 and an E11-3 or an F12-5 would probably be a great motor but I don't feel like cleaning the soot out of those engine bells from a blackjack motor.

I'm looking forward to following this build

Last edited:
With all four boosters built and detailed, it's time to start on the main rocket.
2nd Stage base.jpg
I'm using a BT50 core, fitted to use an E sized motor. The stuffer tube will run all the way up to the parachute compartment. The cardstock tubes will all be double layered.
2nd Stage web and bits.jpg
The booster support web is cut from 4 ply cardstock. It slips over the coupler and is glued in place along with the next two pieces of body.
2nd Stage transitions.jpg
The transitions go on next.
Interstage.jpg
The interstage section comes next. This will also be the parachute compartment.

Looks good! I started work on one of these last winter, it's still half-finished on the back of my desk, taunting me. :( How did you get such a sharp point on the tips of your boosters? I might've used too thick of cardstock for mine, my booster tips came out all lumpy. :( Same with your nozzles, you've got a nice smooth roll to them. What's your secret, I promise I won't tell anyone else... ;):)

Thanks Spurkey, I won't deny that those pointy cones are a bugger, but you just have to finesse them into shape. I used nothing but 110 lb. cardstock in this build and it can be massaged to form the sharp points without too much deformation. Rolling the paper with a mandrel first really helps start the curve. The main engine bells work quite well with a 1/4" dowel as a rolling pin. The vernier nozzles used the stick of a q-tip as the mandrel. The only thing smaller are the nozzles on the escape tower, those are truly dinky.

I tried out a different method for rolling my tubes since I wanted to use double thick walls. I cut a second piece of cardstock the same size as the pattern, coated with Elmer's. and laid it on the outer skin, offset by 3/4". I immediately rolled it with a length of PVC that I use as a rolling pin to establish the curve. This gives me an integral glue tab and positive alignment to keep the tube straight. Once the glue dries, the tube is nice and strong. This technique works well on the transitions, as well.

The Soyuz cover and capsule make up the nose of this bird.
Here are the parts of the cover.
Soyuz cover parts.jpg
And put together.
Soyuz cover.jpg
Combined with the main body.
The Stack.jpg
The crew capsule. Rolling those tubes for the escape tower wasn't any picnic, I can tell you.
Capsule and Escape Tower.jpg
Finally, the grates for the Soyuz cover.
Capsule with grates.jpg

Almost there. A few detail pieces get added and then the whole shebang gets put together.

Final assembly.jpg

The webbing has a little tab that fits in a slot in each of the boosters for precise alignment.

All together.jpg

FINISHED!!! (Big sigh)
This is easily the most intensive build I've ever done in cardstock. It takes some time and effort, but this is one beautiful bird. Can't wait to fly her.

The business end.jpg

You can see the amount of detail that goes into her tail end.

Soyuz and R-7 Luna.jpg

This is not a small model, either. Here she is next to my Doctor Zooch R-7 Luna.

Ton also has available on his site a 1/96th scale Soyuz with an optional Progress cover, which will make an interesting build a little further down the line.

Hi Blades,
Thanks for sharing the build! Beautiful work.
That last picture sure gives the perspective of how big it is!
Compaired to the Dr. Zooch Luna, I would think rolling the four cones would be easier on a model this size. It took me a few tries to get the Zooch Soyuz cones right.

Thank you for sharing all detail. Very interesting build.

How heavy is the model?

Hi Blades,
Thanks for sharing the build! Beautiful work.
That last picture sure gives the perspective of how big it is!
Compaired to the Dr. Zooch Luna, I would think rolling the four cones would be easier on a model this size. It took me a few tries to get the Zooch Soyuz cones right.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yes, it is a big beast. The larger cones are a bit easier than the smaller ones on the R7, but they're still coming to a pretty fine point, which keeps them challenging.

JNUK, she weighs in at 10.4 ounces. I don't think I'll be using streamer recovery. :rolleyes:

Blades,

It was nice to see it finished. So I guess we are all going to be waiting for the flight report.

JNUK: The variant in your post is without the "frost". It also has a more detail and I'm sure would make an impressive model.

I know it wasn't available when I built mine a few years back. At the time, I think I had every cardstock rocket available on the internet downloaded into my "maybe get to build someday" folder.

I've found another model of the Soyuz LV here https://www.cardmodels-r.narod.ru/html/Soyuz-e.htm. It seams to very neat. I just wonder whether you considered this variant or you didn't know about it?

JNUK, I hadn't seen that version before, thanks for pointing it out. It's a beauty. My one concern about converting that model for flight is that the level of detail is going to add a serious bit of weight to an already heavy model. You'd almost certainly have to go with larger motors than a D12.

Blades,

It was nice to see it finished. So I guess we are all going to be waiting for the flight report.

Wait no longer, Bob. See my flight report over in the LPR section. Got some nice flight pics.

On Ton Noteboom's personal site, he has a 96th scale Soyuz, basically the same model without the frost, the should make a nice 18mm coversion. He also has a Nike-Hercules that could be a lot of fun too.

Back