how to paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankey

Reaction score
I have estes high flyer and the engine retaining clip is installed on the outside how do I paint this rocket and not mess up the clip and still get it looking right.

I am not familiar with the clip installation on this rocket, but if it is outside you should just go ahead and paint the rocket however you intend to paint it. The clip will be fine, paint won't hurt it and will cause no interference. The worst that will happen is the paint will chip a little when you pull the clip back after painting if the clip sits against the body tube. Before pulling it back you could run an X-acto knife along both sides of the clip to break the paint. If bit does chip just touch up the paint.

what he said, but I would do the X-acto knife while the paint is just dry but still quite fresh to help with chip mitigation.

I built one of those about five years ago so I know what you're talking about. Yes you could just paint the clip too but it will chip off. I always mask or remove all hardware before painting (retainers, screws, rail buttons, etc). So I would mask the retainer clip with blue painters tape before painting. You can use a sharp razor blade or hobby knife to trim the tape along the edges of the clip.

Back