The last BSD kit and/or the last Horizon?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viperfixr

Born Again Rocketeer
Reaction score
I followed HPR for a couple years while at an overseas USAF assignment to Japan 1998-2001, but moving back to the US spurred me to buy my first HPR kit. On 11 Jul 2001, I bought a BSD Horizon kit from Rocketsilo.com (that no longer exists) for $69.99 and could not wait to tear into my first 'big' rocket. However, things like 9/11 , a growing family and other hobbies took over and the sad Horizon sat unbuilt in the original box, hidden in the back of the garage for four more military moves. I did get into HPR in 2007 and haven't looked back, but did my L1 and L2 certifications on a BSD 38 Special...the Horizon didn't get any love. As funny as it sounds now, the uncut fin slots scared me away.

Fast forward to June 2018, I was looking for a simple HPR rocket that I could prep and fly in 10 minutes or less, but big enough to fly on L1 motors with a semi-small field. I was looking at LOC 4" kits when the sad Horizon still in the garage came to mind--seemed like the perfect kit. So, finally, the Horizon got some attention! I decided to add an Aeropack motor retainer and a LOC Baffle, the later being used to make it zipperless configuration wise. I cut off the nosecone end, put a little nose weight in (epoxy & BBs), then a bulkhead with an eyebolt near the tip, leaving most of the nosecone inner area for shock cord. A 50" Top Flight parachute fits into the tiny payload area with room to spare.

2018061708274677-IMG_1231-M.jpg

2018061708233649-IMG_1355-XL.jpg

Awesome decals thanks to Stickershock23

2018061708233649-IMG_1356-XL.jpg

The Last Horizon flew her maiden voyage yesterday at the MDRA launch, first going up on an Aerotech H242T, and then on a CTI I212 Smoky Sam. Both flights were very straight, little rotation, spot-on stability and flawless chute deployments (love that LOC Baffle). While probably the latest BSD rocket kit to be built, I wonder if it is one of the last. Was this the last BSD Horizon to be made? Yes, there are close matches in Binder Designs, LOC and Fusion rocket offerings. But, are there any other BSD kits or rockets still out there?

Last edited:
And, here is the original receipt that was still in the box!

Horizon013-XL.jpg

None of the addresses are still in use...

Scott Binder was selling Horizons and a few other kits at LDRS. Looked like he sold a number of them. Here is a link to the Horizon but you will have to scroll down:

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/

BTW, a great looking rocket.

I wasn't aware of this kit - but really nice design complimented by what looks like a lovely build - nice one!

By coincidence I came up with this similar (but 4 fin) 4" / 38mm scratch built some time back which attracted some compliments at the field when I flew it. Loc tubing with a Cokerized PML NC. Like yours it gives nice stable flights.

S-3B 31_03_18.png (photo Pete at HART Rockets)

Scott Binder Rockets (SBR) has re-released the Horizon, as well as the Thor, the Fusion and a HOJO, and the ArrowX.

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/

Really interesting line up - thanks for the link. I see the new Thor is 4" - did BSD originally make it 3" dia? The reason I ask is someone at my club has a ready made 3" Thor which he inherited from a member who sadly passed away some years back. The decals would suggest it was built from a kit, and is not a downscale clone.

I believe a "lightweight" Thor was offered, a member of our club has one as well. I looks to be made from Estes 3" airframe and then sections of coupler are used to double the airframe. Dave flies it several times a year on I and J motors.

Really interesting line up - thanks for the link. I see the new Thor is 4" - did BSD originally make it 3" dia? The reason I ask is someone at my club has a ready made 3" Thor which he inherited from a member who sadly passed away some years back. The decals would suggest it was built from a kit, and is not a downscale clone.

I think the default size for a BSD Thor was 4" (I had one). Don't remember which NSL it was (2009?), but a 3" version was a special, short run kit for that event.

We did offer a 3" Thor kit for a while - but decided just to specialize in the 4" diameter kits this time. The Horizon is available in 2 different trim schemes now, and does feature laser-cut fin slots, as well as a few other updates - including laser-cut centering rings and bulkheads.

The Thor, which was originally 4", as it is in the newest kit, also feature some upgrades, including a digitally printed decal set - it also features full-length couplers for strength....

Nice decals!

www.fusionrocket.biz

https://www.fusionrocket.biz/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/horizon-Web-Specs.jpg
https://www.fusionrocket.biz/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Web-Specs-thor.jpg

Back