Lightweight battery for launching G motors and clusters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
I've always used car batteries for larger motors, but we're planning a launch here in Europe from a site that we have to hike to. Any suggestions for a light battery that can launch G motors and D clusters?
Thanks,
Bill

battery choice is dependent on what kind of charger you'll have available locally and what type batteries ditto. if you have to ship/ carry batteries from the states then it is likely that you'll have to settle on Nimh cells, a pair of 6 cell 3600mah rc packs connected in series would do the trick. downside would charging them, a charger powered by a 12v dc power supply could be used at the trailhead/parking lot. a 3s 4000mah Lipo would also work But, then you have a) the problem of getting them to Europe and b) charging them. might want to talk with r/c folks in Europe to see what is available.
Rex

Batteries sold here are largely the same as what is sold in USA. What about a 6v lantern battery would that work?

I think it depends on the igniters. I know Aerotech Copperheads and I believe their First Fire igniters both require 12 volts. And I'm not sure a 6v lantern battery would provide enough current for clusters. Do you know someone there that has a small automotive jump starter?

Our club uses car jumpstarter packs, they are a battery and charger in one package and many have a two stage charger to bulk charge then trickle/maintain. So of ours also have 12V power ports and USB ports. We have at least one like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-...66001f5-79c26841-a7193e05a488746f&athena=true
It will do probably a 100 launches ( or more, we usually charge once during a three day launch) before needing a recharge. We use them with a relay type pad box for HPR and wired direct with out two Pratt 6 pad controllers.

Last edited:
Your battery should put out at least 12 volts. Most composite igniters require 12v launch systems. A pair of six-cell RC car battery packs will do the job.

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a sealed lead acid battery for use this summer, but those portable car battery chargers from Amazon look like the best long-term solution.

While I don't personally fly APCP G motors I do fly all kinds of 2 to 12 BP motor clusters. Generally if I'm flying alone or with a friend or two I use a 12volt 7amp/hr sealed lead/acid Rechargable RC battery. These are available for just about any Hobby store or on line for less then 20.00. With a little work a very nice leather case can be made for under 6 bucks.
My first 7amp Hobbico battery lasted over 20 years so it's well worth the 20 bucks.

Attachments

• 12V Gel-Cell-b_ Batteries & Adaptor Charger(128dpi)_11-05.jpg
    12V Gel-Cell-b_ Batteries & Adaptor Charger(128dpi)_11-05.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 95
The 12v 5a lead acid battery worked great with Aerotech F motors (copperhead igniters) and a 2xD9-5 Klima cluster.

Back