Have you heard? The 2018 Estes Catalog Is Due Out Soon!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Heard that Estes is going to have a 2018 Catalog out (like in a week's time).
😊
Thanks Estes!

For the catalog collectors, people without a device to connect online, and those that just want a real catalog to hold in their hands, great news. But for 95% of Estes buyers, who cares? All the catalog information is readily available on the Estes website, and more, including archives, instructions, and resources not in their catalogs. Printed catalogs, in general, are a dinosaur in the digital age. That why the iconic Sears "Big Book" catalog ceased printing in 1993. Whenever I get an order from Belleville Hobbies in the mail, they have printed catalogs and order forms from Estes, Quest and Custom in the box. I throw them all away. Many times the online prices reflect specials and discounts not in their catalogs and order forms anyway. Don't want to be a party pooper, just being real.

For the catalog collectors, people without a device to connect online, and those that just want a real catalog to hold in their hands, great news. But for 95% of Estes buyers, who cares? All the catalog information is readily available on the Estes website, and more, including archives, instructions, and resources not in their catalogs. Printed catalogs, in general, are a dinosaur in the digital age. That why the iconic Sears "Big Book" catalog ceased printing in 1993. Whenever I get an order from Belleville Hobbies in the mail, they have printed catalogs and order forms from Estes, Quest and Custom in the box. I throw them all away. Many times the online prices reflect specials and discounts not in their catalogs and order forms anyway. Don't want to be a party pooper, just being real.

This argument has been rehashed in other threads.

Some people around here are *really* attached to their paper catalogs. Others would be happy with a PDF. Still others are satisfied with searching the Estes or other website.

Personally I think paper catalogs are a waste of resources in this day and age, although I wouldn't discount the possibility that they are good for getting kids interested. But are kids interested in anything on paper anymore? I dunno.

A full catalog in general (in PDF or paper) does provide a useful snapshot of the state of things in a given year. It is really nice to look through all the old catalogs and see how things evolved, or just to be able to see what was available in a particular year. I'd like a PDF catalog, although at the same time I'm not sure it is really worth Estes' effort.

Simply searching their website would be a lot more satisfying if the website were better.

- Neil

Well, that's the same argument that we all had when Estes announced they weren't doing a 2017 catalog. Its just the collectors that really cried; the catalog itself is a throwback. It is pretty, and it has nice info in one spot, but all it contains is available on their site. The costs to produce a paper catalog go beyond the paper and ink, the labor involved with creating the document in terms of graphic design and layout is significant. And its the same regardless of whether you have a print version or just a PDF. If you haven't gotten involved with any printing or design of this sort, it might be easy to overlook, but I assure you that its a big deal.

I find a paper catalog (or magazine, or ..) is easier to read in the can, when camping, during a power failure, in the car, on a plane, etc.. They can (and do) have their place, and while a tablet or Kindle will suffice for most instances, paper has some advantages..

personally, don't care, but I do like 'flipping' vs scrolling..

(Kuririn, I hope you mean "recycle" and not land fill trash..)

Neil,

Agree to all your points 100%. I put printed catalogs in the same category as landline phones, printed daily newspapers, and "hard copy" records on paper. There are modern alternatives that are far cheaper. A printed catalog, newspaper, or even a pdf is outdated as soon as it is printed or downloaded. If a major event occurs after a newspaper deadline, you won't read about it until tomorrow's paper. Similarly a catalog or even a pdf will not reflect new models introduced after the fact or discounts and specials for OOP models, for example. As a senior citizen it took me a while to realize that some of the things I was set in was costing me money big time! Have a good day.

I give my kids each their own copy of the Estes catalog, they love to sit and talk and dream. The 2016's are a bit ratty, so I'll be glad of the fresh ones.

In my discussions with Estes, we were talking about mailing them to me in the US and/or China. Since email would get to me either way, I'd say expect paper copies. However, since Estes also makes available copies of their catalogs in a digital format, I'd expect that it'll be available that way too.

Interesting, on a side note I did notice my last few orders for parts shipped without shipping cost, now it's back at 10.99 flat rate, I called and they said free shipping now starts at 99.99

Frank

As I recall, they had been offering a special shipping rate above maybe $40 or something. That's probably expired now. Interesting that the catalog is not posted in PDF form on the catalog page, maybe it just isn't up yet.

To comment on a couple of the previous posts. I for one don't have a cell phone, but my Land Line does have several fancy battery operated phones in different places in my house. I NEVER read the news paper since there's nothing worth reading except for the grocery store ads. I do however prefer to read Everything on paper. Much easier for me to read. I love paper catalogs.

There will be both a paper catalog and PDF file for those who wish to not have a paper version.

John Boren

Nice little intro letter by Ellis Langford at the front.

Also, should I make anything of the fact that the C11 is still in there?

Last edited:
Personally I'm jazzed about the Alpha VI, nice to see red and white making a comeback in that design.

Yes. I have it on some authority that this will be the NARAM-60 giveaway model, but hopefully it will be available separately as well. Chromed red....

wacky wiggler is only available in a launch kit :( oh well, not like I've ever shied away from spending money irresponsibly.
Well... if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby and yours is doing the clearance like others (including around here) you can get the launch set for $7.49 (while supplies last :D). I just picked up two today.

Back