Massive Dust Storm Rages on Mars, Opportunity Rover Falls Silent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Massive Dust Storm Rages on Mars, Opportunity Rover Falls Silent
June 13, 2018

https://www.space.com/40873-mars-dust-storm-opportunity-falls-silent.html

NASA's Opportunity rover on Mars did not return a call from Earth Tuesday (June 12) while enduring a massive dust storm that scientists have called "one of the most intense ever observed."

"The Martian dust storm that has blotted out the sun above Opportunity has continued to intensify," NASA officials wrote in a mission update Tuesday. "The storm, which was first detected on May 30, now blankets 14 million square miles (35 million square kilometers) of Martian surface — a quarter of the planet." That means Opportunity's solar panels aren't getting enough sunlight to phone home from its Perseverance Valley location on Mars.

Opportunity's failure to reply to a signal from its mission operations center at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a sign the rover has entered a "low power fault mode" in which all the rover's systems shut down except for a mission clock. That clock is programmed to wake up the rover periodically and check its power levels to see if it can call home.

"If the rover's computer determines that its batteries don't have enough charge, it will again put itself back to sleep," NASA officials said. "Due to an extreme amount of dust over Perseverance Valley, mission engineers believe it is unlikely the rover has enough sunlight to charge back up for at least the next several days."

Scientists think the power level in Opportunity's batteries is below 24 volts. If the rover loses power for an extended amount of time, there is a chance it won't be able to power the heaters needed to keep its electronics alive.

In 2053, a manned mission to recover the opportunity rover for preservation finds only a small crater surrounded by what appears to be fragments of a red Tesla roadster.

In 2053, a manned mission to recover the opportunity rover for preservation finds only a small crater surrounded by what appears to be fragments of a red Tesla roadster.

Sigh. it's amazing how many believe the hype. That Tesla is never going to hit Mars, was never launched "to Mars".

Sigh. it's amazing how many believe the hype. That Tesla is never going to hit Mars, was never launched "to Mars".

I’m not one of those people. I am one of those people who won’t let a few million km get in the way of a good joke though :)

Do we know at what point it won't be able to run the heaters?

Once that happens, even one or two Martian nights without heaters = quick death... right?

It's in late Martian spring so temps are not as extreme as in winter. From what I hear prospects are good for survival. The news likes to sensationalize the risks, which are real, but the story gets more play when they focus on the worst case scenario.

There are some nuclear heaters on Oppy, and that along with the time of year they don't seem to be too concerned about getting too cold. Numbers I heard was that the rover is designed for -55°C, spec'd at -40° and is not expected to get colder than -36°. We just need to be patient.

There are some nuclear heaters on Oppy, and that along with the time of year they don't seem to be too concerned about getting too cold. Numbers I heard was that the rover is designed for -55°C, spec'd at -40° and is not expected to get colder than -36°. We just need to be patient.

Curiosity is nuclear. I was unaware there is a reactor on Opportunity. If the lights go out too long, even in batt saver mode, it might be curtains. Great rovers those guys. Maybe long after I'm dead and gone they can be recovered and placed in the Air and Space Museum.
Kurt

Good news. They're pretty confident 15 year old (versus 90 day mission design) Opportunity will be able to ride it out and be recovered. Amazingly, the batteries have been through over 5000 charge/discharge cycles, but still retain 85% of their capacity.

[video=youtube;Qsg7e69kIiI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsg7e69kIiI[/video]

42788957752_acd20bf003_b.jpg

Back