Why is it so hard to paint rockets with a brush?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd guess by brushing parallel to or away from the mask line.

If you must mask, always paint away from the tape.

But if you're using a (good) brush and have some skill you don't need a mask.
A good brush will make an even stroke, and if your hand can't do it, there are ways to use a straightedge, just not against the bristles.

To get the best line possible against tape, brush towards, or away from the tape. But, pull the tape immediately after, when wet.

And yes, many 'cuts' are best done by eye, with no tape.

Micro,
Great write but I do have a couple questions for a brush painter.
1. Using Testors enamels, how long do you wait before brushing on repeat coats to prevent lifting of the first coat?
2. How do you brush paint large areas with white? Once again Testors.
3. Masking, how do you prevent paint build up on the mask line?
4. Do you prime your plastic models before brush painting?

#1: Testors is NOT the best enamels to use. They must be thinned considerably to get the right flow without running. Once thinned properly the coat is allowed to dry to the point the lightly brushing the BACK of the hand to the fresh paint does not fell tacky. I then wait about 10 minutes before adding additional coats if required.
#2: With a very large 1" or 1.5" Grey Squirrel flat brush. I only use 1-Shot White lettering enamel for large (up to BT-101) surfaces. This Signmans paint is forumlated to be self leveling and once properly thinned will produce surfaces comperable to sprayed.
#3: Masking is done sparingly with the thinnest possilbe low tack tape. paint away from the taped edges and remove immediately. If a paint dam is found it can be remove with 3M finessit-II.
#4: Yes: We have a couple Plastic model primers that are brushed on and sanded before the paint process is begun.

Sorry for the late replies but this Chemo treatments are kicking my Back side, I'll try to do better as I proceed with the process.

Last edited:
I just finished hand painting my Pemberton 3FNC.:

9GLm34nVDSaaxMXP6

Hmm...that picture didn't come out. Let's try again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JhecuWGGKnsJQX2G6

20180619_064409.jpg

Went with a metallic gold. It looks bumpy. It's a bit of a long story, but this paint was real fussy. I tried primer, roughed up, everything but the paint just wouldn't grip. Then I found the only solution: wall texture paint. Yup the bumpy stuff. IMO, I like it!

Last edited:
I meant, wall texture as a primer of course. It gripped the gold paint like a magnet and the texture enhances the sheen.

Back