Turnigy Accucell 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to the LiPo battery scene. I bought 5 Tunigy 2S 280 mah batteries and a Accucell 6 battery charger. I figured out how to configure the charging program (balance charge) but I can't seem to find at what amperage rate I should select to charge the batteries. I can select from .1a to 6a with this charger but what is the best to use so as not to cause any damage to the battery.

thanks

Just about all LiPo's will charge just fine at 1.5C, in the case of your 280 mAH batteries that's 420 mA. Choose .4A and you'll be fine.

Yeah - I'd go with Cris' advice.

I was going to say 1C (so whatever is closest to 280mA that you have available on that charger) as that is the conservative answer going back to the beginnings of using LiPoly batteries in models back in 2003 or so. But just about any current LiPoly cell battery can be safely charged a bit faster than that.

The battery manufacturer should tell you what the maximum “Charge Rate” of the battery is. This information is sometimes on the shrink wrapping and is different than the “C-Rating” which is usually expressed as a number on the front of the pack (20C, 50C, etc).

If you are unsure of your batteries charge rate, then you are safe to use the following rule and charge the pack at a 1C rate. To determine this number, take the mAh rating of your pack and divide it by 1000.

Example: If your battery is a 280mAh pack, your 1C rate would be .3. (280÷1000=.28 it’s okay to round up)

If your batteries allow for a higher charge rate (1C-5C is the general range) simply take the numbers you came to calculating your 1C rate and multiply it by that factor. So let’s use the above example.

280mAh @
1C charge rate = .3A
2C charge rate = .6A
3C charge rate = .9A
5C charge rate = 1.5A

To get more information on charging LiPos just Google "lipo charging" or lipo whatever else and there are many articles and informational videos on the subject.

You will be happy with the Accucell. I have two, one for rocketry and one for R/C.

Latest posts

Back