History Made with NK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is also a fact that it matters not to me.

Unfortunately, you do not get to select the leader of NK. He is what we have to deal with until his subjects elect to institute a change.

And that's supposed to make things matter how in my life?

If you have something to offer the conversation perhaps you should actually spit it out instead of sounding like a five pound argument in a Monty Python sketch.

If you have something to offer the conversation perhaps you should actually spit it out instead of sounding like a five pound argument in a Monty Python sketch.

Perhaps you're putting the 'conversation' on a higher pedestal than it's worth.

1u1x48.jpg

I think he is attempting to get the thread banned - ignore him.

Trump said it himself today if you were listening, there’s great beaches so why not build a hotel.

Kim travels to China for 'negotiations'.
Kim's rhetoric re US turns 180 degrees.
Kim meets Trump.
US military presence in Western Pacific reduced.
China continues process of annexing islands and territorial waters in South China Sea.

Coincidence?

I closed the thread and edited a few of the posts and deleted some other. I ask that you not turn this thread politcal again. This is a nice converation celebrating the potential for peace for the Korean people.

I rarely deleted things permaniently, but there have been multiple thread complaints. I hid the posts and locked the thread until I read and edit them on something other than my iPhone. Only a few of the posts are gone now.

I rarely deleted things permaniently, but there have been multiple thread complaints. I hid the posts and locked the thread until I read and edit them on something other than my iPhone. Only a few of the posts are gone now.

And yet you left the images that were Anti-Trump but added nothing else. I'm sure if I'd posted an image indicating things would be even worse had Hillary won, or that Obama gave Billions in cash pallets to Iraq instead of negotiating denuclearization the way Trump did, it would have been removed quickly. The leanings on this forum are so transparent.

A couple of interesting stories from this week:

Discussion of the difference between the initial negotiation and finalizing details: https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...north-korea-will-be-playing-a-whole-new-game/

Speaking of what NK will tell its people, NK media are saying that Trump gave more verbally than was in the official statement. Some of that seems to be the cancellation of joint war games with SK, but there's also a nebulous security guarantees statement: https://www.npr.org/2018/06/13/6194...essions-you-won-t-find-in-the-joint-statement

One of the things that concerns me in this negotiation is that Trump is not very precise with his words. That's an asset in some situations (like the pre-summit negotiations discussed in the first article), but it can also lead to trouble if NK thinks that Trump meant something different than he thought he was saying. If we are going to get to a lasting peace, the words written on the page matter and verbal agreements or fuzzy language can make the whole thing fall apart. It's like when you buy a car--at some point you sign a piece of paper that says that the entire agreement is what's written down, and nothing the sales agent told you is valid if it's not in the contract.

One of the things that concerns me in this negotiation is that Trump is not very precise with his words. That's an asset in some situations (like the pre-summit negotiations discussed in the first article), but it can also lead to trouble if NK thinks that Trump meant something different than he thought he was saying. If we are going to get to a lasting peace, the words written on the page matter and verbal agreements or fuzzy language can make the whole thing fall apart. It's like when you buy a car--at some point you sign a piece of paper that says that the entire agreement is what's written down, and nothing the sales agent told you is valid if it's not in the contract.

But presidents don't write agreements like this. There are highly trained people for that and things like this get reviewed by a lot of people. Plus if this ever gets to a treaty the U.S. Senate has to approve it,

The Secretary of State is staying in Singapore to hammer out the details with his North Korean counterpart. He’ll have numerous people who are policy and agreement experts checking and double checking, yet there will still be mistakes because that’s just the way it is, regardless of who’s president.
Cwbullet, thanks for the soft touch while moderating. That’s a diplomatic skill in itself.

But presidents don't write agreements like this. There are highly trained people for that and things like this get reviewed by a lot of people. Plus if this ever gets to a treaty the U.S. Senate has to approve it,

That's true. The problem is if the paper that lands on KJU's desk to sign doesn't match up with what he heard from Trump. "This language isn't what you promised" is a reason to blow up the deal. To go back to the car buying analogy, "What do you mean the undercoating's not included! You said it would be!" [Storms out of dealership]. In theory, there shouldn't be any surprises since everyone should be keeping the people up the chain informed about what's in the deal and what's not. In practice, stuff can go wrong, especially if Trump goes off script in a hypothetical future meeting where they are signing a real document.

I've seen things like this go bad over commercial issues worth a few thousand dollars when I had a boss who liked to make promises to customers before talking to legal.

Back