Estes C6 vs Quest C6?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solid_fuel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Running thrust curve for a current build. Der Red Max Heavy. It will be approx 100 grams when finished. Launching from a 48” long mini rail about 43” of actual guide length. When I put this rocket into thrust curve and run the motor guide the quest C6 is shown as a good motor choice. I have to get the weight down to 70 grams to get an Estes C6 to be listed as a good motor. Is there really that much difference between the Quest C6 and the Estes C6?

Here's a comparison of the time-thrust curves:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/compare-motors---estes-c6-to-quest-c6.html

As you can see, the Quest C6 has a bit higher peak thrust, though it takes a little longer to reach the peak. The most import difference, however, is that the sustaining thrust is lower than the Estes. This presents a problem for some heavier or draggier rockets. I saw a Dr. Zooch Saturn V flying an a Quest C6 fall to the ground before firing the ejection charge. If flew okay on an Estes C6.

-- Roger

The Chinese made Quest C6 are more like C4 motors. They tend to work better with light, low-drag rockets than heavy, draggy rockets. An Alpha would be a great choice for the Quest motor, but a Fat Boy would not be.

I've got a bunch of old black powder quest A6 and B6 motors still in my range box. I've never used the C6s though. I generally use Estes motors when I really want to be sure to get something heavy off the pad. I did a model rocketry program at the school I teach at recently. We built Quest Couriers and lofted eggs. Estes C6-3s were plenty powerful to launch the heavy rocket packed with two chutes and an egg.

Back