Nosecone repair - Mega Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I was inspecting my Mega Der Red Max I noticed that the nosecone has a fairly large crack in it. Its last launch was out at Hellfire last year, and must have come down a little hard on the salt, or just hit just right... either way, I now have a fairly large crack in the plastic nosecone. I have been thinking of ways to re-enforce/repair it so that its good to go...
Think that cutting a larger hole in the base and then getting something like a fiberglass patch or perhaps just getting some epoxy on the inside of the crack...

Any suggestions on fixing this the easiest way?

I would cut the entire bottom off to give yourself full access to the interior. Make the repair then install a wooden bulk plate with a forged eyebolt for cord attachment. This is very popular for Big Daddy modifications.

Sounds like a good plan, will start on it tomorrow as Hellfire is coming up and would like to take it out there again!

Thanks for the help.

The nose cone should be made of polystyrene iirc, if so most any plastic model cement can be used to fuse the crack (Tenax, Testors, etc). But access to the interior of the nose cone will still be needed for re-enforcement. A piece of polystyrene sheet may also be used as a patch on the interior if you can mold it to the NC and keep it there while the cement cures. Pictures would help us understand the extent of the damage if possible.

The nose cone should be made of polystyrene iirc, if so most any plastic model cement can be used to fuse the crack (Tenax, Testors, etc). But access to the interior of the nose cone will still be needed for re-enforcement. A piece of polystyrene sheet may also be used as a patch on the interior if you can mold it to the NC and keep it there while the cement cures. Pictures would help us understand the extent of the damage if possible.

That sounds like what I'd try. Photos of the repair process would also be useful.

Good Luck!

Over on FB, I just saw someone's tail cone get a nasty bulge from too much foam on their Velociraptor. Mike's now thinking about removing that recommendation from the instructions.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=gm.10155488035550887&type=3&theater&ifg=1

When foaming something like, do it in lifts, small amounts at a time, allowing them to expand in between lifts. When I do a nosecone I’ll do it in five or six small amounts. In this instance I would think it would make the crack worse anyway.

The nose cone should be made of polystyrene iirc, if so most any plastic model cement can be used to fuse the crack (Tenax, Testors, etc).

If it is polystyrene, model cement should attack the plastic. You may want to test on the inside of the shoulder before committing.

Back