"First Man" Movie Trailer released - Neil Armstrong

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scheduled for release October 18th:

[video=youtube;O9Y7DTCn7Cc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Y7DTCn7Cc[/video]

RYANGFM1.jpg

A's unassuming as he was I doubt he would have liked this told while he was alive. I wonder how they treat the X-15 thing. According to Michelle Evans book he had some issues there that concerned the project directors. Nonetheless, outside of the moon mission,
he had an incredible life experience that needs to be told...... As long as they don't take to much liberty with the truth. Kurt

I’m interested! I believe I was given the book as a gift a few years ago, but I’m not really into biographies, so I never read it. I hope they do a good job with the movie. It would be interesting to know more about the rest of his career.

Possibly a good movie. My concern is, through looking at the trailer, is that they are trying to tell the story of his life in the fixed length of a mainstream entertainment movie. There are so many sub-stories even shown in the trailer that to give each a reasonable exposure would probably need a lot of screen time

Unfortunately I have seen movies in the past where they tried to tell a big story in a short time and failed. I hope they got it right. I will go to see it.

Curious to know whether or not this release has anything to do with the upcoming 50 year anniversary.

With the 50th anniversary of the mission one year away, they should have made this movie. Unlike Apollo 13, they seem to have the Saturn V right. Project Gemini never got the big screen time it deserved. Maybe this film will correct that issue, as the Gemini VIII mission may be featured.

With the 50th anniversary of the mission one year away, they should have made this movie. Unlike Apollo 13, they seem to have the Saturn V right. Project Gemini never got the big screen time it deserved. Maybe this film will correct that issue, as the Gemini VIII mission may be featured.

The trailer shows Gemini scenes. And indeed Armstrong's performance during that mission, when a roll thruster got hung up firing and they rolled so fast they nearly blacked out (would have thus died) before solving the problem, certainly helped to move him up thru the ranks of many other astronauts to be among the select few to be considered to be in a major role for a lunar mission.

The movie also has some X-15 scenes.

And definitely an LLRV scene. Another case of Armstrong being cool, recognizing problems and making the right decisions in a life or death moment.

I do NOT expect the movie to try to follow his whole life. Probably a little bit as a kid, then move quickly onwards, to learning fly, then getting more focused by the time of the X-15 flights (also meeting his wife, getting married and having kids). After showing scenes of Apollo-11's return, the movie will probably be over within 10 minutes, rather than spend much time on him and his family in the decades afterwards.

Screenshot from trailer:

c896M40.jpg

Last edited:
The trailer shows Gemini scenes. And indeed Armstrong's performance during that mission, when a roll thruster got hung up firing and they rolled so fast they nearly blacked out (would have thus died) before solving the problem, certainly helped to move him up thru the ranks of many other astronauts to be among the select few to be considered to be in a major role for a lunar mission.

The movie also has some X-15 scenes.

And definitely an LLRV scene. Another case of Armstrong being cool, recognizing problems and making the right decisions in a life or death moment.

I do NOT expect the movie to try to follow his whole life. Probably a little bit as a kid, then move quickly onwards, to learning fly, then getting more focused by the time of the X-15 flights (also meeting his wife, getting married and having kids). After showing scenes of Apollo-11's return, the movie will probably be over within 10 minutes, rather than spend much time on him and his family in the decades afterwards.

Screenshot from trailer:

Gotta love the Gusmobile! Kurt

Back