Waterbased urethane or polyurethane for top gloss coat?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjkcolorado

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite painting method is using a simple airbrush (Badger 350) with Createx acrylic paints (primarily the Wicked Colors). When I’m done with the color, I have been clear coating with Rustoleum 2X Cover Gloss Clear. I really like the control I have with the airbrush (both control of the paint and the environment being inside with the water based paints). I need to spray the clear coat outside and it always seems like I’m fighting with various particulates, bugs, etc. I’m wondering about some of the water based urethane/polyurethane products and if I could spray them through my airbrush. Also, how they perform in terms of durability and being able to sand/polish/wax to a high gloss finish. Anyone have experience doing this, or general working knowledge of waterbased urethane/polyurethanes? Thanks.

create makes a gloss clear coat and its pretty awesome. high gloss finishgloss clear.jpg reduce with the 4012 only, or

they also make a gloss top coat, also pretty awesome, has a more satin finish gloss top.jpg reduce with 4012 and 4030

I use the acrylic floor polish. I've put it on both mop-on and with airbrush with good results. Most use the future brand, I got Zep wet look from Home Depot years ago for my camper and still have a half gallon of it. It goes a really long way and self levels nicely.

Back