2018 Hobby Lobby Summer Clearance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose_in_co

Reaction score
It's that time again. Hobby Lobby has some "D's" (for discontinued) marked on the Estes rockets that they carry.

The ones that are at my store are:

[FONT=&amp]Expedition[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sky warrior [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Super nova[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Goblin

These are typically removed and placed in the clearance section over the next month or two at 40% off to make room for new rockets that they will carry.

Happy Hunting.

Goose[/FONT]

I've got my eye on an Expedition or two.
Thanks, Goose!

It's that time again. Hobby Lobby has some "D's" (for discontinued) marked on the Estes rockets that they carry.

Just stopped by at mine (N-NJ) - no rockets on sale, the employees weren't aware of any discounts coming either.

Is this regional?
Or my store is just out of sync?

a

Everything is always 40% off at Hobby Lobby with a coupon.

Good point! The only thing we can save is the time and effort it takes to print out a coupon or pull it up on a smartphone....
It would be nice to be able to use a coupon on top of the discounted price, but HL doesn't allow it.

Everything is always 40% off at Hobby Lobby with a coupon.

Normally, it is 40% off on ONE item only.
While it is, technically, possible to go back in line and buy another item with the same discount, that is a violation of coupon terms (1 / day).

I usually buy more then one item when I go shopping ;-)

a

A lot of times I will take the two grandkids along, with each of us wielding a printed paper coupon. That way I can pick up at least three items on one trip.

Sorry for the confusion.

The "D" marking on the wall location tag is an indication that these items will not be carried at the store any longer. Then they re-arrange the wall display, and move the items that were marked "D" to the clearance isle, or an endcap, with the price marked as clearance, and 40% off. Some stores get a jump on it by putting the clearance price on the items before they re-arrange the wall display, others, wait until later.

This was just a heads up that these rockets will not be available from your local HL in the near future.

And, Yes, with the coupon, or app on your smartphone, you can get one item at 40% off. You cannot use the coupon with clearance items, however, you can get multiple clearance items all at the 40% off price. And if the clearance items stay around too long, they discount another 40% off the clearance price, that is, if any are left at that point.

Goose

A lot of times I will take the two grandkids along, with each of us wielding a printed paper coupon. That way I can pick up at least three items on one trip.

lol...child mules for your rocketry hobby...I've got three kids, and am totally stealing this idea!

the pegs were clear of those and the Protostar was also had a "D" on the tag. I had that in my hand more than once with a 40% coupon in hand. Looks like I missed it. They were resetting the clearance aisle too so maybe they were moving them. Last year my store (mishawaka IN) just cleared them in place. I missed the Nike Smoke last year.

Sometimes if you wait long enough you can score some really good deals.
IMG_3421.jpg
BT55 Booster - $0.14
Where else can you buy an entire 24mm fin can for $0.14?

IMG_3422.jpg
E-9 Motors @60% Off

Picked these up last Winter.

I got two Protostar's, an Expedition and a Goblin today in Sanford, NC.

They have a Supernova, a Goblin, a Comanche and one of the little red flying saucer thingies left on sale.

I scored today on a few kits marked down to $4.74 and some Model Master paints marked from $6.19 down to 54 cents.
ojX8Ui.jpg

Yes i just picked up 4 kits all $6.50 or less, then a pack of F15, flashed my coupon for the motors, love that place.

Typically in my area the HL Estes reset is in Sept. Just for kicks while I was out shopping I stopped by HL. I found a Quinstar: $5(!!!) and a Wacky Wiggler launch set: $8. I passed up 2 Sky Warriors at $5 ea. That was it rocketwise.

Typically in my area the HL Estes reset is in Sept. Just for kicks while I was out shopping I stopped by HL. I found a Quinstar: $5(!!!) and a Wacky Wiggler launch set: $8. I passed up 2 Sky Warriors at $5 ea. That was it rocketwise.
Saw the same crazy 75% off pricing last week at a location that was having a Grand Opening. I did not know if it was associated with the Grand Opening or not. I guess if I go into another location and I see the same deals.....

Just stopped by on my way home from work, got a Protostar, Expedition, Supernova, and Comanch-3 all at 75% off. Then threw a Star Orbiter in the cart and used my coupon on that. It was a good trip to the store.20180702_134509.jpg

There were lots of Protostars left (And at least one of each of the others), all the clearance rockets were in the rocket section and not the clearance aisle.

Last edited:
OK - I went and got one of the two remaining Protostars, and picked up a Comanche 3, a Super Nova, a Quinstar, and two Wacky Wiggler launch sets. I’d been wanting the model for some time, and for $7.49 I could justify it. My granddaughter will be presented with one of them when she gets here tomorrow. I left the Expedition (I’ve built one and the one on the hook had a pretty badly squeezed main body tube) and there was at least one each of the others as well. Both Quinstars have squashed tubes, but I have plenty of BT-20 and BT-50 scraps so that’s not an issue. Getting the laser cut parts for $5 works for me.....

picked up a Goblin for $4.49 (I already have one - going to paint this one pink), and used the $40% coupon to get a pack of E9-6 motors - great clearance deals at HL!

Scored a Quinstar for 5 bucks last night. I plan to build this one without the 18mm MMT. The core tube is 24mm which will hold a D12-0 perfectly.

Should work fine as long as it doesn't spin too fast and shred itself.;)

I think a 24mm mount is a common mod. from the build threads I've seen. Come to think of it I may take a drive S. Thur. to Stillwater and check their HL. I could use some Protostars for parts.

Back