It Takes 41,500 Hours Of Labor To Build an F-35A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
It Takes 41,500 Hours Of Labor To Build A Single F-35A According To New Report
The time it takes for workers to construct an F-35 is decreasing according to a new report, but other issues with the jet haven't been resolved
6 Jun 2018

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/21367/it-takes-47000-hours-of-labor-to-build-a-single-f-35a

Excerpts:

As far as the question of how the F-35's labor hours for production compares to other aircraft, we are having a tough time answering it definitively at this time, at least with fresh data. But according to an archived POGO report, an F-16A took 29,000 man hours to produce in 1984, and the more complex and relatively new F-16C took 45,000 man hours to build in 1989. That same source noted that just the F-22's center fuselage section took 60,000 man hours to assemble when the program was in its pre-production state in the late 1990s. This was mainly due to the 60,000 fasteners that were used on the section, each of which was installed by hand taking roughly 30 minutes to an hour.

So with just these metrics in hand, the F-35 program doesn't seem to be gobbling up labor at an astronomical rate, especially considering its low-observable design, which are historically very expensive to produce. The fact of the matter is that all aircraft take a lot of time to build. Even during World War II, when the fate of Britain hung in the balance, it took a whopping 13,000 man hours to build a single Spitfire Mk V. In contrast, it took the Germans 4,000 hours to build a Me109G.

We found the chart below in the forums at WW2Aircraft.net and we can't confirm its accuracy, but it seems to be a good comparative snapshot of the time it took to build other WWII aircraft. You will notice the massive delta in efficiency just over a single war year for all the types stated:

im wondering on tbe B24:
from https://archive.org/details/74182StoryOfWillowRun
At its peak, Willow Run produced 650 B-24s per month. By 1945, Ford produced 70% of the B-24s in two 9-hour shifts. Ford produced half of the 18,000 total B-24s at Willow Run, and the B-24 holds the distinction of being the most produced heavy bomber in history.

i wonder how many manhours that took per plane.

I am amazed at the range in hours per plane at the current end of the curve. It is interesting that some go together in almost half the time of the worse case units...what is leading to the wide range?

I think that these numbers are deceptive. I'm sure they are not counting the hours needed by subcontractors to build the parts and equipment that they supply. So some of this depends on how much stuff needs to be outsourced. I would imagine the real number of hours is 2 to 3 times these numbers.

I think that these numbers are deceptive. I'm sure they are not counting the hours needed by subcontractors to build the parts and equipment that they supply. So some of this depends on how much stuff needs to be outsourced. I would imagine the real number of hours is 2 to 3 times these numbers.

thats a good point. i think what we see is hours to assemble.
heres is a pretty cool video on the B24 construction. quite a few sub assemblies.

[video=youtube;p2zukteYbGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zukteYbGQ[/video]

Having visited the F-35 production line a few times, the LM Ft Worth plant is nothing short of amazing. Clean, quiet, orderly, well lit and very efficient. They have adopted Six Sigma and many other lean practices to ensure every bit and part is at the point of use for every technician. More impressively, LM is taking someone 'off the street' with no to little mechanical skills and training them into a production line worker in a few months, and reliably. LM's F-35 plant puts many other industrial work areas and practices the USAF (and USN/USMC) uses to shame, honestly. I was at the plant for a week last October, and not once did I hearing loud hammering or other expected production noises. And two jets will comes off this line a week this year as they ramp up to full rate production. Impressive.

Cool.
A friend use to work for Delaware Machine in Muncie Indiana, he was an estimator they built molds to make automatic transmissions. He told me it took an average of 100,000 man hours to build the mold.

The efficiency increases are an amazing tribute to the folks, their work ethics and their abilities to fixture and tool up, always striving to do better.

Thanks for posting this Winston... :handshake:

WWII Plane Build Hours.jpg

Last edited:
Having visited the F-35 production line a few times, the LM Ft Worth plant is nothing short of amazing. Clean, quiet, orderly, well lit and very efficient. They have adopted Six Sigma and many other lean practices to ensure every bit and part is at the point of use for every technician. More impressively, LM is taking someone 'off the street' with no to little mechanical skills and training them into a production line worker in a few months, and reliably. LM's F-35 plant puts many other industrial work areas and practices the USAF (and USN/USMC) uses to shame, honestly. I was at the plant for a week last October, and not once did I hearing loud hammering or other expected production noises. And two jets will comes off this line a week this year as they ramp up to full rate production. Impressive.

Only two per week? That is pretty low. What do they anticipate full rate to be? They need to increase that a lot.

I ask as what happens when we get into a shooting match with an adversary who is also fielding 5th gen aircraft, and we start losing some?

Latest posts

Back