Upsale Big Daddy or Der red Max?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Red Max, Big Daddy or other

• Der Red Max Upscale

• Big Daddy Upscale

• design somethign else / scratch it

Results are only viewable after voting.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I have a large, pointy 4" nose cone. I also have about 28" of 4" body tube. I have lot's of 1/4" ply and a 38mm MMT tube.

Should I make a 4" upscale of a Der Red Max? a Bid Daddy? or something else, completely scratch?

I usually go scratch, but I do have a soft spot for a DRM..

Depends on how pointy. I'd say any point rules out a DRM.

I like the Big Daddy - it is a challenge to build stable with a big motor but the time in thought is worth it.

The answer is always Upscale Der Red Max ;)

Braden

Survey says you are wrong sir. At least so far. :)

I say Big Daddy. I have a DRM and Big Daddy in my fleet. DRM never flown, Big Daddy always flies. And I have a spare just in case.

I voted for "other". As much as I like DRM and BD, I'm kind of tired of them. Like to see something new, or at least less frequently built.

A 4" EAC Viper would be nice (also frequently upscaled, but not as often as the others I think).

I like the 4" EAC Viper idea. I built a 3" version, but it doesn't use 13mm motors like the original did.

P1090866.JPG

P1050843.JPG

P1100044.JPG

P1100045.JPG

P1050881.JPG

With 28" of tubing you can make two Bigger Daddies - I just measured mine and it only has 14" of 4" airframe. The nose is also very stubby, I believe it is a 3:1 ogive.

A 4” DRM is just a MDRM — an existing kit. I don’t think there is an existing 4” Big Daddy kit, so I voted for that. But thinking about it a bit more, upscaling a 3” kit to 4” isn’t really much of an upscale. So despite my previous vote, now I think you should make something new.

Thanks all.

as mentioned I have the NC, the BT, and the MMT. And a stack of 1/4" ply. (So, CRs are easy.) Don't really want to buy anything else..

My question, is, what to do with them?! I much prefer to scratch build vs copy or clone a kit (unless it's is a very special one) I saw an awful lot of MRDMs at NSL, so the initial thought was there: Clone a current popular kit?

of course the Quintifinal(?) build thread that was recently started helped push me to think seriously about creating some 5 or 6 finned stubby beast! Maybe even with a paper (reinforced) tail cone..

Thanks all that ventured a vote & opinion! Much appreciated!

Thanks all.

as mentioned I have the NC, the BT, and the MMT. And a stack of 1/4" ply. (So, CRs are easy.) Don't really want to buy anything else..

My question, is, what to do with them?! I much prefer to scratch build vs copy or clone a kit (unless it's is a very special one) I saw an awful lot of MRDMs at NSL, so the initial thought was there: Clone a current popular kit?

of course the Quintifinal(?) build thread that was recently started helped push me to think seriously about creating some 5 or 6 finned stubby beast! Maybe even with a paper (reinforced) tail cone..

Thanks all that ventured a vote & opinion! Much appreciated!

If you prefer to scratch build instead of clone, then that's what you should do. That's what I would probably choose too.

A 4" version of the Madcow/Polecat Goblin. Nice and short and stubby. I want one myself, just too many other ideas to build. Maybe add a fin or two.

picked up the LOC Goblin at NSL!! :D :D

The LOC (Estes) Goblin and Madcow/Polecat Goblin are two entirely different monsters.

Fins are different with LOCs sweeping back. And the LOC is a bit longer, I think Personally I prefer the fins on the Madcow version, and the biggest (only?) size available is 2.6". Polecat had some truly big Goblins in their lineup, hopefully they will make a comeback now that they are a part of Madcow; they looked stubbier as well.

Edit:
When I saw Wildman's had a 5" Goblin on his Black sales I got super excited until I saw it was the Estes breed. Just enough difference to where I like the other one better.

Last edited:
The obvious solution is a Big Red Hex. Pointy nosecone per Big Daddy. Body tube per a Big Daddy upscale. Six Der Red Max fins. Hey, you said you had a stack of plywood! :)

Scratch building is always a fun way to go. Mark at stickershock designed and made the decals for our space transport

Attachments

• DSCN0764.JPG
    DSCN0764.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 49
The LOC (Estes) Goblin and Madcow/Polecat Goblin are two entirely different monsters.

Fins are different with LOCs sweeping back. And the LOC is a bit longer, I think Personally I prefer the fins on the Madcow version, and the biggest (only?) size available is 2.6". Polecat had some truly big Goblins in their lineup, hopefully they will make a comeback now that they are a part of Madcow; they looked stubbier as well.

Hey, you're right. I've looked at both a million times.. d'uh!

assumptions can be a dangerous thing!

Back