Macow Nike-Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw them at BAR's trailer a week ago and I was kicking myself for getting the Nike Apache instead of using my magical 8-ball to know that this would be coming out. I was pretty proud of myself for resisting buying them, especially because they were still at sale prices.

Yes. I picked one up from BAR while at FITS in Mansfield, WA.

Typical amazing quality fiberglass parts that I've come to expect from MadCow. This is going to be a super fun kit.

But a few complaints:
No instructions, just a parts diagram. As this is the first multi stage hpr kit for me, would have liked something more, but I'll deal with it.
I had to order a few more bulkplates to allow me to turn the transition section into an avbay for the booster. I think those should have come with the kit.
I don't like the length of the nose cone coupler tube for the sustainer, I will be cutting that down by a couple of inches.
The rocksim file available on their website did not seem to match the kit, and was put together a bit odd. Also it triggered a bug in open rocket where it could not save any changes to the file. I had to start from scratch in open rocket.

Yes. I picked one up from BAR while at FITS in Mansfield, WA.

Typical amazing quality fiberglass parts that I've come to expect from MadCow. This is going to be a super fun kit.

But a few complaints:
No instructions, just a parts diagram. As this is the first multi stage hpr kit for me, would have liked something more, but I'll deal with it.
I had to order a few more bulkplates to allow me to turn the transition section into an avbay for the booster. I think those should have come with the kit.
I don't like the length of the nose cone coupler tube for the sustainer, I will be cutting that down by a couple of inches.
The rocksim file available on their website did not seem to match the kit, and was put together a bit odd. Also it triggered a bug in open rocket where it could not save any changes to the file. I had to start from scratch in open rocket.
John; I ordered one @ the LDRS sale price but it still has not shipped. Can you possibly post the additional parts and O.R. file? Might make life easier if I can simply add them to my order before it ships. Apparently you're not the only one having problems w/Madcow's O.R. file, mine also is unhappy. Thanks in advance for any and all possible help.

Can you possibly post the additional parts and O.R. file? Might make life easier if I can simply add them to my order before it ships. Apparently you're not the only one having problems w/Madcow's O.R. file, mine also is unhappy. Thanks in advance for any and all possible help.

I just downloaded the Rocksim file from Madcow and was able to open, make changes and save it. Make sure when you are saving the file you do a 'save as' and change the file type to openrocket. If you save it as a rocksim file, it will lose your motor selections.

Looks like a cool two stage. 54mm on top and 4" on bottom leave lots of room for electronics and running conduit.

cheers - mark

I just downloaded the Rocksim file from Madcow and was able to open, make changes and save it. Make sure when you are saving the file you do a 'save as' and change the file type to openrocket. If you save it as a rocksim file, it will lose your motor selections.

Mine will not let me Save As and change file type, and it does not save my motors. Has anyone contacted Madcow about getting a native *ork file? Or does anyone have a file that they successfully converted?

Mine will not let me Save As and change file type, and it does not save my motors. Has anyone contacted Madcow about getting a native *ork file? Or does anyone have a file that they successfully converted?

This is a known issue with OpenRocket. Just rename the .rkt file to .ork before opening it, then save it and it'll convert it. At least that's worked for me in the past.

This is a known issue with OpenRocket. Just rename the .rkt file to .ork before opening it, then save it and it'll convert it. At least that's worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a shot. I normally don’t mind building my files from scratch but this one has lots of parts.

Edit: That fixed it. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
You can also open any Rocksim file, select the entire rocket (the part just below Rocket, typically named 'Stage' unless you've renamed it) copy it, and paste it into a new file. You may end up with an empty stage that you can just delete. After that it will save as a regular ORK file.

Tony

I got one from AMW at LDRS - can't wait to build it. I'm going to get a nose cone for the Nike so I can have two rockets out of the deal. I'm not quite ready for staging.

I got one from AMW at LDRS - can't wait to build it. I'm going to get a nose cone for the Nike so I can have two rockets out of the deal. I'm not quite ready for staging.

I'll probably do the same, makes perfect sense since it's pretty much a classic "two'fer". The only current question I have seeing as how I've not yet received mine is about the Nike fins; Are the profiled or simply flat g10? If so, it's probably easiest to use John Cokers balsa/fiberglass/vacuum bag method?

Thanks for the link. Seems like a good, straightforward option. As luck would have it, I even have a Food Saver. John is binding his balsa profiles to a carbon fiber substrate. Are there any considerations in doing this technique with G10 plate instead?

That is an interesting question that I do not have a simple answer to. I probably will attempt it by cleaning/scuffing the g10 and bonding the profile material in a dedicated step in order to avoid misalignment of the parts? I think balsa would be sufficient/light and easy to work with. Then glass and bag?

That is an interesting question that I do not have a simple answer to. I probably will attempt it by cleaning/scuffing the g10 and bonding the profile material in a dedicated step in order to avoid misalignment of the parts? I think balsa would be sufficient/light and easy to work with. Then glass and bag?

I probably won't get around to mine for a while (have a Mad Cow Avalanche to build first). Please keep us posted if you go this route and how it works out.

Will do, but don't hold your breath since it'll probably be a while. I also have a foodsaver that I found in the top of a dumpster on a jobsite complete with 2 rolls of bagging material. There was also a fully functional 7" wet tilesaw w/diamond blade that looked like it'd been used once. Just one of the perks of being a carpenter, people throw out all kinds of perfectly good "stuff" when moving into a new home. I have used the foodsaver to glass a set of plywood fins and was very impressed with the outcome. One layer of 6 oz. fiberglass added very little weight yet added an amazing amount of stiffness.

Back