A word from the wise or unwise

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Do not burn old grains in an old retired grill.

Anybody lessons have any learning lessons to share?

Don't go to bed with an itchy butt. You could wake up with a smelly finger!

If a big bug hits your windshield between Kalamazoo & Kocomo on a hot day, using your windshield wipers will only make it worse..

Don't believe carrots are good for your eyes, I stuck one in my eye the other day and it hurt like hell.

Always check the oven before turning it on
(a corollary is to verify which stove burner you're turning on)

Now that I found out not to burn old propellant grains in the grill, is it OK to store them in the oven while I figure out what to do with them?

Now that I found out not to burn old propellant grains in the grill, is it OK to store them in the oven while I figure out what to do with them?

Yes! Your wife will never complain about leaving the toilet seat up again...

Logically yes, as long as the above advice is followed first. Although you may have a grace period depending on how hot you set the oven.

Do not burn old grains in an old retired grill.

Anybody lessons have any learning lessons to share?

I’ll admit to chopping up old, failed, swollen APCP grains into tiny, tiny pieces and using them as “fairy sparkles” when we have a fire in the back deck... the kids love it.

That being said - I once used a slightly too large piece (when the kids weren’t around) , and remembered, too late, how much smoke an AP burn makes and how it gathers when the motor isn’t flying away from you...

Houses in my neighbourhood are kinda closer together than you’d probably want for that amount of smoke.

There was a few minutes (before it all cleared in the light breeze) where I thought: “I wonder how long before the neighbours come out to complain???”

I’ll admit to chopping up old, failed, swollen APCP grains into tiny, tiny pieces and using them as “fairy sparkles” when we have a fire in the back deck... the kids love it.

That being said - I once used a slightly too large piece (when the kids weren’t around) , and remembered, too late, how much smoke an AP burn makes and how it gathers when the motor isn’t flying away from you...

Houses in my neighbourhood are kinda closer together than you’d probably want for that amount of smoke.

There was a few minutes (before it all cleared in the light breeze) where I thought: “I wonder how long before the neighbours come out to complain???”

I have an old CTI motor in the G impulse class (don't remember exactly what it is), and the motor was manufactured without the forward o-ring. I never got around to trying to return it, and now it's been too long. I was thinking about tossing a tiny piece in the backyard fire pit to see what it would be like, but now I'm not so sure...

If you keep the bits to the size of a peppercorn, it’s great!

For the experiment without the kids, I used a 1/4 of an f grain, and, lets just say, it was “Quite Smokey”!

My mother stored bags of potato chips in the oven, she read about doing this in a magazine. Turned the oven on without checking. I don't think she ever did that again.

Yes! Your wife will never complain about leaving the toilet seat up again...

That is funny. It is a funny story. I put 6-38 mm grains froma cato in an gold cast iron grill to burn. Very loug echoing soudn through the neighborhood. Nosey neighbor who was renting nextdoor say the grill glowing at night and quicklty went in doors and closed the blinds. He moved quickly there after. On hindsight, I am surprised it did not melt a hole in the grill.

I now burn them on my farm in a fire pit.

A few years ago at a launch, people started tossing extra grains into the fire pit, which was an old steel tank, maybe 1/4" thick. They were pretty cautious, telling the kids to step back, only putting a few grains in at a time, etc. There were purple flames 6' high at times, though. It wasn't long before you could see the tank glowing red. Fun times. :)

During the SSS and ARG launches at the old Rainbow Valley launch site the Hillbillies used to burn their failed grains in an old metal washing machine tub. Green flames leaped 6 feet in the air and the tub glowed cherry red. It added some extra fun to camping out at the launch site.

Dangerously hot things often look just like cold things.

Don't test for a bad ground by putting your hand on the case.

Don't open unlabeled lead canisters.

Trim your mustache and beard well away from your lips before demonstrating the leidenfrost effect by putting a slug of liquid N2 in your mouth and blowing out a big plume of dragon smoke.

this one has a corollary

Don't do the "smoking an invisible cigarette" trick with a piece of dry ice in your mouth if you have fillings over intact nerves.

My mother stored bags of potato chips in the oven, she read about doing this in a magazine. Turned the oven on without checking. I don't think she ever did that again.
I have a similar story. Several years ago my wife cut some catnip for our cats and left it on the kitchen table to dry. Needless to say it wasn't long before the cats were all over the table rolling around in it, so she stuck it in the oven to keep it out of reach.

The next day she was working late, so when I got home I turned on the oven to preheat for dinner and jumped in the shower. After a few minutes I smelled something burning, and suddenly remembered that she put the catnip in the oven. I threw open the shower curtain, jumped out buck naked and soaking wet, slipped and fell on the bathroom tile, got back up and ran to the kitchen. Sure enough there was an inferno in the oven so I turned it off and hit it with a quick burst from the fire extinguisher.

All the commotion scared the hell out of the cats. They scattered when I slipped and fell and didn't come back out for a while.

Just stand on the bottom rung. Put out your hands. If you palms aren't on the rung without leaning, it's wrong, fix it.

- old firefighter trick

Latest posts

Back