How to sand down a complex rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look cool. I feel like I'd need to see a 3d view around them (or a video) to fulliy understand their geometry. Haven't tried searching Youtube yet.

In any case, I decided to dive in and see how much I could do with just plain old sandpaper. I will work as slowly and carefully as my patience will allow (I'm allocating weeks for this job, doing just a little bit each session). My first run has been pretty good; there are a few crevices I didn't cover well but they are probably OK. Also, despite my attempted gentleness, I did sand through to the wood in one or two spot on fin edges. I think when I'm done I'm going to do a targeted coat (just the areas I want) of primer, just to cover up the few small spots of bare wood. Long way to go before I get there though.

For the nooks and crannies I use the Lee Valley sanding grips. They are precise for fillets and they help with fatigue for those long sanding sessions we all love.

https://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=20183

Those look cool. I feel like I'd need to see a 3d view around them (or a video) to fulliy understand their geometry. Haven't tried searching Youtube yet.

In any case, I decided to dive in and see how much I could do with just plain old sandpaper. I will work as slowly and carefully as my patience will allow (I'm allocating weeks for this job, doing just a little bit each session). My first run has been pretty good; there are a few crevices I didn't cover well but they are probably OK. Also, despite my attempted gentleness, I did sand through to the wood in one or two spot on fin edges. I think when I'm done I'm going to do a targeted coat (just the areas I want) of primer, just to cover up the few small spots of bare wood. Long way to go before I get there though.

Maybe you could check out a woodworkers store in your area and see if they carry them. You might want to test one out before you buy. My point is, the pensander might be a little aggressive for what you are doing on this build. All in all, it's a heck of a mini sander that I could surely like to have for a great many applications. As for the primer touch-up, try decanting some in a small vessel/cup, and let it reduce to a thicker consistency that you can paint on by hand. I found this technique to be quite successful when I needed just a few primer touch-ups.

"Nook & cranny" areas need special attention. Like, pre-painting before installing? That too, can be a bugger, but the end results outweigh the difficulty you are facing right now.

I agree with Gary. The more complex the build, the more I fill and prep parts before gluing on the body tube.

I agree with Gary, the more complex the build, the more I prep parts before gluing on the body tube.
Again, I agree, but on this build the vast majority of the complex parts needed to be fabricated or shaped (or at least final-shaped) in place on the rocket, precluding pre-finishing. It's the first time I've built something in this way, and I really had no choice for the most part.

I got the Proxxon sander today. About $40 on Amazon with no power supply. Fortunately, the pegs on the odd power plug are marked '+' and '-', and the pins are the right size so I can poke the positive pin into the center of a standard 2.5mm barrel connector of a 12V wall wart I already have. An aligator clip makes a (temporary) connection from the outside of the barrel connector to the negative pin of the Proxxon cable. Powers on just fine. I'll make up a dedicated supply with speed control later. (About $15 vs $$ for the Proxxon supply.)

I can see that this will be useful for fine finishing in tight spaces. Definitely not going to do much in the way of heavy sanding. It'll be good for what it's intended.

Update on the Proxxon sanding tool. I ordered and just received a variable power adapter from Bangood. It was $10 or $12. Variable from 9-24V and rated at 3A, with a voltage display. I cut the odd plug off of the Proxxon (the wires are clearly labeled +/-) and wired it up to this supply. I used a wired barrel connector I had - that mates with the power supply standard 2.5mm output connector, so I can still unplug the Proxxon from the supply.

Works perfectly. Speed varies nicely when going between 9-18V. The only drawback is that I don't think the Proxxon is supposed to go above 18V, and this can go to 24, so I need to watch it (though I doubt it would hurt it short term).
Proxxon supply.jpg

Back