Image handling still sucks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it does. Sucks bigtime...

I have to say it discourages my posting of pictures on this forum, because it is a major pain in the ass, and half the time it doesn’t work. It feels like a waste of time sometimes.

You just need to use a 3rd party image hosting site like Flickr.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who has no problems with this.

Once or twice I had a brief issue when the server was acting up, but other than that no issues. I do most of my image uploading in the mobile app, and then I use the web UI to compose posts using those image. Works fine, always.

You just need to use a 3rd party image hosting site like Flickr.

Once or twice I had a brief issue when the server was acting up, but other than that no issues. I do most of my image uploading in the mobile app, and then I use the web UI to compose posts using those image. Works fine, always.

Using a multiple-step process, like first uploading to a 3rd party site before posting here, or using the app for uploading and using the web UI for composing is included in the idea “it sucks”.

You are not alone. It is not difficult and works fine.

I haven't had a problem uploading using Firefox and the Insert Image button. Worked last time I tried it. Not at home right now so can't verify it still works for me. I did have to allow flash or some such to run once, and set it to remember it is ok to use for the website.

Angie has said a new version of the site is coming which will likely eliminate flash requirements.

Using a multiple-step process, like first uploading to a 3rd party site before posting here, or using the app for uploading and using the web UI for composing is included in the idea “it sucks”.
I understand why you would feel that way.

However, I look at it like this:
1) almost 100% of my pictures start off on my phone. Therefore, it makes by far the most sense to upload from there.
2) except for the briefest of replies, it is by far easier to enter postings via the web.

So the two-step process is for me a natural result of some basic facts of life, nothing to do with the details of TRF's implementation.

There are a couple of changes I would like to see, though. First would be the ability to upload multiple images simultaneously, both through the app and the web. The second is the ability to control the size an image is displayed. Right now the only things I've figured out are thumbnails (attachments only, not available for images linked from elsewhere on the web) and full-sized. A middle ground would be nice sometimes.

I understand why you would feel that way.

However, I look at it like this:
1) almost 100% of my pictures start off on my phone. Therefore, it makes by far the most sense to upload from there.
2) except for the briefest of replies, it is by far easier to enter postings via the web.

So the two-step process is for me a natural result of some basic facts of life, nothing to do with the details of TRF's implementation.

There are a couple of changes I would like to see, though. First would be the ability to upload multiple images simultaneously, both through the app and the web. The second is the ability to control the size an image is displayed. Right now the only things I've figured out are thumbnails (attachments only, not available for images linked from elsewhere on the web) and full-sized. A middle ground would be nice sometimes.

The reason I upload from my computer using the web UI is that you CAN upload up to 10 pics at a time per post, and you CAN resize the images — but only when it works correctly.

Take a look at this post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...tom-project-for-LDRS-37&p=1790185#post1790185

I had been uploading images and resizing them just fine in the previous posts, but at some point the system started refusing to upload, saying I could only upload 10 pics per post, even though I had only uploaded 3 or 4 in that post. And then when I went back to look at previous posts, the images I had uploaded and resized were all replaced with an attachment link. This was a decent amount of work lost, and I’m a bit discouraged to try to fix it.

Another reason this is annoying is that the system used to work flawlessly. Then at some point, it didn’t work at all. And when it was “fixed”, it was not as good, and sometimes it screws up your work like it did to me yesterday. How can something that worked fine 6 years ago be worse today? That’s not supposed to be how technology progresses.

The reason I upload from my computer using the web UI is that you CAN upload up to 10 pics at a time per post, and you CAN resize the images — but only when it works correctly.
You can do 10 pics per post via mobile, it's just that you have to select one at a time. I think the web UI is the same.

However, resizing the images? I see no obvious way to do that, what's the trick?

Yeah, that sucks, I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've not had a single problem like that, and I upload a lot of pictures on a pretty regular basis.

Uh,

Wile I have little to no issues, I do have the same gripe: loading one photo / file at a time. You used to be able to open the 'add attachment' window, then 'browse attachments' and select a few to upload (to the attachment widget) in one shot. You could select more than one at a time from the folder you kept said pictures / files in.

Not anymore. Now, you have to open the browser to select the pics, one at a time, and upload them one at a time to the file attachment widget. (So, you nee to go thru a process for each & every photo / file / pdf / RS file / etc.. when you could select (with either the CRTL or SHIFT key) a few at a time.. It now just takes longer, and you need to remember which files / photos you've already attached from the list / folder)

You can't open / browse the 'NSL-2018' folder on your device, and select the 42 pics you took.. you have to browse & select 42 times..

You can do 10 pics per post via mobile, it's just that you have to select one at a time. I think the web UI is the same.

However, resizing the images? I see no obvious way to do that, what's the trick?

Yeah, that sucks, I have no idea what's up with that. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've not had a single problem like that, and I upload a lot of pictures on a pretty regular basis.

To upload multiple images simultaneously using the thing that may or may not screw you up, click the Insert Image (picture icon), chose “From Computer”, click “Choose File”, and select up to 10 files for simultaneous upload. When the images are loaded into the post, they are small. Click on an image in the web UI, and you will have options for resizing the image small, medium, large, or full, plus other formatting options. If you load the images using the attachment tool or the URL option, I think it’s only one at a time, and you don’t have the formatting or sizing options. That’s why I prefer to upload from my computer using the web UI, but it’s flaky sometimes.

I just put a thread into the Feedback subforum. Although I can use the basic uploader in FireFox and even select multiple files, the uploader crashes for me after it uploads them, but before it inserts them into the message. I have to go into the advanced editor and mess with them there. I put pictures in my mini thread. In Chrome it was worse. Couldn't upload anything, except in the Advanced / Manage Attachments method.

I just put a thread into the Feedback subforum. Although I can use the basic uploader in FireFox and even select multiple files, the uploader crashes for me after it uploads them, but before it inserts them into the message. I have to go into the advanced editor and mess with them there. I put pictures in my mini thread. In Chrome it was worse. Couldn't upload anything, except in the Advanced / Manage Attachments method.

nothing we haven't known about for a very long time!

Last edited:
My procedure is:
1) Take photo with DSLR
2) Upload from camera to PC
3) Import photo into Adobe Lightroom
4) Do cropping, resizing, etc
5) Export from Lightroom
6) Upload to Flickr
7) Copy and paste Flickr URL into IMG tag in TRF post

A major issue that none of these threads mentions, and why I don't post documentation photos here that need accurate sizing, is that when the forum software rescales images, it incorrectly handles the pixel scaling metadata (ppi in x and y), so images will not print at the correct size. I've looked in detail at the metadata in the files with Nikon ViewNX-i, and it just plain does it wrong. I had a quick look on the vBulletin forums, and it looks like the image resizer plugin may not have been updated in a very long time. If it's buggy, it might be good to just dump the resizer/limiter and allow full-res still images. Storage $/TB is 1/10 what it was when this forum was established.

I must say, that if a person intends to "dump"dozens of raw uncropped max res photos from a cellphone (PHONE, not camera) into a thread, then it may be a feature, not a bug, that the forum software is discouraging them from doing so.

Cellphones can't be zoomed, so launches from a safe distance show small images of the rockets. Photos that are mostly a rocket field with the rocket itself a tiny part of it.

I always crop my photos before I post them. And if the lighting/contrast is not so good, I'll usually work on that too. And man do a lot of my cellphone photos NEED a lot more work than the images taken with a real camera. Of course I only post cellphone images when I've taken some photo of convenience when I did not have my real camera with me. For really important photos, such as at a launch, I use my Canon S-5S, far far far better image quality because it's a CAMERA with a big lens, ZOOM, focus range, and a lot of setting options (including shutter speed for liftoff shots), not a PHONE with a teeny little fixed camera scrunched into it.

After editing the photo, then I post them onto Imgur and copy/paste the links to appear in my posts here. Because i have never liked how the forum software worked to begin with even when it worked "fine". Build threads with tiny thumbnails at the bottom of the post are annoying to read/follow. Far better to have the images for a build thread embedded in the text where the text is talking about what is in each particular image.

For example post #3 of my R/C Lunar Module Quadcopter thread. Imagine that post being a wall of text, with all the photos as thumbnails at the bottom. Indeed before I started doing Imgur, I did exactly that with some of my posts that did use the forum software.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...dule-Quadcopter-project&p=1635685#post1635685

Also, there were some times when I posted an image such as a 1/66 scale drawing of a Saturn-IB. The forum software resized it to the point where the dimensions/text were unreadable! That was the last straw for me, to try to find a 3rd-party host so I could post images that were worthy of being posted at their originally intended size (Note I say intended size, not original size).

None of the above excuses the forum software from not operating properly.

BUT, it does open the can of worms about not just "dumping" a bunch of raw images if it was easier to do so. Easy for the poster, not as good of an experience for the readers. Please choose and edit your photos (If I shoot 50 photos a a launch, i'm going to sort thru the ones worth posting).

The same as you don't just post raw stream of consciousness thoughts, you organize and edit your words. Well, other than one guy in Tennesee. :)

Last edited:
the number of times I cringe & shake my fist at posts (mostly FB) that have the subject badly out of focus, cluttered, etc..

(Why do people think their out of focus pic is OK to post, that the intent is carried over?! Don't they check their work before posting?! grrr!!)

I too, will take real pics with a real camera, do some manipulation, resize (typically to 1024 as the longest side), and then post, from a PC.

I also prefer to have the thumbnails at the bottom of the post, and put the pics in the order they are called upon / the order they should appear.. (A post with pics strewn in-between paragraphs I find hard to read; requires a fair bit of scrolling.. not to mention that one pic that's 3228 x 2842 that blows the post to billboard size!!)

This thread is a sign of the times. This site is great, it's free, a forum where we share and learn. It's awesome if you stand back and look at it from that perspective.

So, looking at the site from that perspective :point: the civil thing to do if you are not a Forum Contributor is to not complain about the forum web site.

If you are a Forum Contributor, then constructive criticism would be legitimate.

But then again I'm old school and remember when to learn about rocketry I had to go to the library, then order what I wanted via a letter ad then wait 2 to 4 weeks for the parts to arrive.

To say we are living charmed lives today is stating the obvious.

This thread is a sign of the times. This site is great, it's free, a forum where we share and learn. It's awesome if you stand back and look at it from that perspective.

So, looking at the site from that perspective :point: the civil thing to do if you are not a Forum Contributor is to not complain about the forum web site.

If you are a Forum Contributor, then constructive criticism would be legitimate.

But then again I'm old school and remember when to learn about rocketry I had to go to the library, then order what I wanted via a letter ad then wait 2 to 4 weeks for the parts to arrive.

To say we are living charmed lives today is stating the obvious.

My criticism is not so much a complaint, but an explanation about why I don’t post many pictures anymore. It’s a pain. And it’s an unnecessary and pointless pain, because it used to work, and now it doesn’t. That’s not progress. I’m not going to go through a bunch of hoops to post a build thread. If the forum owners want me to post content, they have to make it easier to post content. I’m putting my Comet build thread on hold, because without pics, there’s not much to say.

My criticism is not so much a complaint, but an explanation about why I don’t post many pictures anymore. It’s a pain. And it’s an unnecessary and pointless pain, because it used to work, and now it doesn’t. That’s not progress. I’m not going to go through a bunch of hoops to post a build thread. If the forum owners want me to post content, they have to make it easier to post content. I’m putting my Comet build thread on hold, because without pics, there’s not much to say.

To upload multiple images simultaneously using the thing that may or may not screw you up, click the Insert Image (picture icon), chose “From Computer”, click “Choose File”, and select up to 10 files for simultaneous upload. When the images are loaded into the post, they are small. Click on an image in the web UI, and you will have options for resizing the image small, medium, large, or full, plus other formatting options. If you load the images using the attachment tool or the URL option, I think it’s only one at a time, and you don’t have the formatting or sizing options. That’s why I prefer to upload from my computer using the web UI, but it’s flaky sometimes.

What operating system and browser are you using? Windows 10 and Google Chrome here. I have yet to have a problem loading pictures from my Lenovo latop, or my Acer with WIndows 7 and Firefox before it died a few months back?

With all the different operating systems and browsers nowadays I'm surprised these free forums haven't thrown in the towel and given up.

Take a look at this post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...tom-project-for-LDRS-37&p=1790185#post1790185

I had been uploading images and resizing them just fine in the previous posts, but at some point the system started refusing to upload, saying I could only upload 10 pics per post, even though I had only uploaded 3 or 4 in that post. And then when I went back to look at previous posts, the images I had uploaded and resized were all replaced with an attachment link. This was a decent amount of work lost, and I’m a bit discouraged to try to fix it.

Another reason this is annoying is that the system used to work flawlessly. Then at some point, it didn’t work at all. And when it was “fixed”, it was not as good, and sometimes it screws up your work like it did to me yesterday. How can something that worked fine 6 years ago be worse today? That’s not supposed to be how technology progresses.

Can you not resize? I see the Attach config before each image number when I go to Edit the post.

black and white pollard cabin angle.JPGa proper porch for someday home..jpg

Testing uploading images Win10 / Chrome

Also in a few weeks, best guess 3 or 4, this Site will be transferring to Xenforo software. One of the very best new things, in my opinion, is that images can be copied and pasted directly into a message. The image handling is better.

And I cannot figure out why ThirstyBarbarian is having this difficulty. I cannot replicate it.
What Win version and what browser are you using?

Can you not resize? I see the Attach config before each image number when I go to Edit the post.

I was able to resize when I was originally making the post. Look at the posts prior to the one I linked to that were all made the same day. They were resized to “large”, and they are displaying the way I wanted.

The posts with the attachment links instead of picture were all inserted and resized to “large” later the same day in exactly the same way using exactly the same tool. They were loading and resizing as expected, and the posts looked fine to me after being posted. At some point the tool stopped uploading pictures and would give a message that the limit for pictures is 10 per post. But I wasn’t loading more than 10. I tried several times and kept getting the same message. I decided to refresh the page. After the page was refreshed, the images that had been loaded and resized and had previously looked fine were all replaced with the attachment links you see now, so I gave up trying to work with it.

I don’t understand your sentence, “I see the Attach config before each image number when I go to Edit the post.” That’s jargon to me, and I don’t know what it means.

I have a Mac, and I use Safari. Not sure the version numbers, and I’m not at the computer right now.

Back