SR-71 Blackbird OMG!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speaknoevil

Reaction score
Since I've been mostly stationary lately with health issues, I've been doing a lot of RC car/truck/plane stuff, but nothing like this!!!!

[YOUTUBE]ZyQBPB1wnyk[/YOUTUBE]

Sweet! The guy in the back seat.. I get claustrophobic just looking at the model! Can you imagine spending 10 hours in there?

just thinking about an aircraft that leaks fuel until it heats up is scary or take off then you have to refuel but when you faster than an 30-06 who cares

Sweet! The guy in the back seat.. I get claustrophobic just looking at the model! Can you imagine spending 10 hours in there?

The plane is 1/8 scale but the figures are 1/6.
From comment on video:
Lance Campbell
Pinned by The RC Geek
Lance Campbell
5 days ago
Thanks for the comments and kind remarks.
The plane is 1/8th scale, and weighs 86 lbs on takeoff with 72 lbs of total thrust. It carries 2.6 gallons of jet fuel, and will burn 2 gallons of that in 8 minutes of flying. It’s a scratch built project that took 9.5 years from start to the first public flight.
Someone made a remark on the pilot size…. You’re not wrong, but for such a big bird, the cockpit is very close quarters on the full size. I found these great pilots with the correct David Clark suits and all, and had to make them work, even if they are a little big. Cockpits are tedious enough to do, and the thought of having to hand make the spacesuits, was too much for me holding onto my marbles.

Figures are these,
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...s-1-6-u-2-dragon-lady-pilot-no-78030-a-4.html

Although I get "scale this, scale that," I'm only thinking "cool this, cool that!"

Nice! I wonder what a ground speed check would say...

[video=youtube;8AyHH9G9et0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyHH9G9et0[/video]

I have a RC kit that's 107 inches long. My goal is to make it into a rocket once I understand how it's built....

:y: That is awe inspiring. Maybe one day I'll fly a r/c jet plane, but right now one jet engine, much less two, is out of my budget. Unless I put off getting that Kia Stinger. Hmmm....

I've taken the drawings of the Testor's/Italari 1/48th scale SR-71, and blown them up to 1/16 scale. My hope someday is to build a static model of it. However, that stuff is now sitting in the basement of my mom's new home.

So now he needs to build a tanker so he can refuel in flight. :wink:

Back