Putting together a range/launch-pad tool/supplies box. Want suggestions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepOvertone

Reaction score
Hello all,

As the title says, I'm assembling a small tool box with some misc things that will travel out to the range and then to the launch pad with me so I don't have to go back to my tent if I forgot something. I'd love some suggestions from you all as to what you wished you had with you at the launch pad but had to go back and get. Things like an extra motor starter, tape, screwdrivers, knife, and so on.... Keep in mind that I'm using a small cheap plastic tool box and it can't fit tons of stuff. Heres what I have so far.

Screw drivers for shear pins and assembly screws
Razor knife
Masking tape
Extra starters
Magnet to turn on my electronics
Scuff pad
WD-40
Clothes pins

Please add your "essentials" that could go in there and save me a trip back to the tent. I'll keep the list updated to add those things that people suggest.

Thanks,
Timothy

Last edited:
Scotch-Brite pad, small can of WD-40, and a close pin in case the rail doesn't have a good support.

This has been discussed many times. I'm not saying not to discuss it again, but do also check the old threads.

range box threads

One thing I've been including ever since Hornet Driver (I think) recommended it: waxed paper. Rubbing it on a launch rod is a great way to slick it up. I think parchment paper might work as well, but I haven't tried it.

Also, some medium CA for quick field repairs. Some carry epoxy (presumably 5-minute), but I haven't bothered. For LPR, extra shock cord. That probably gets less practical as things get larger. I also have a hanger and pliers; I use the hanger as a hook to fish stuff from out of small body tubes. Handy.

Neil, I appreciate the comments but I think you may have missed the point of my post. All of the things you mentioned, I already bring with me to the range. This is something that I'd be taking with me from my tent at the range to the actual launch pad to save me from going back to the tent if I forget or wind up needing something I didn't expect.

I'm not sure you really need a box to take to the pad. By the time you're through RSO and heading out, you should have pretty much everything.

I fly mostly EX and AT. I tape the motor starter and red motor cap for AT motor to the rocket before going to RSO so that's my masking tape supply which I only use for EX. A screwdriver to turn on the electronics is about the only other thing I bring, and if I forget it, I always have a leatherman micro in my pocket that has most anything else I might need. If anything else goes wrong and needs fixing, the rocket comes back to the bench. There should be no reason to mess with shear pins or anything else on the rocket once you leave the bench.

An extra motor starter is something I don't bother bringing since I have to try the first one before I know if I need another. Just do an ohm test on the one you're taking out there before going.

If you do want something to take out to the pad, I've seen a flier or two with the small tool pouches on their belts with a few items. That seem smart and easy and can carry everything you will probably need and is hands free!

I always carry my Gerber Suspension multi-tool and a pocket screwdriver. And like others, I tape my igniter to the side of my rocket. The only other thing that I've ever wished I brought out to the pad was a heavy duty spring clamp to use as a standoff. In those cases, I just use a rock.

I would add some disposable gloves in case you need to do something messy (say clean and scrub the rail).

Depending on what the rails at the club are like and what you are launching a small metal C or G-clamp can be used as a stop for the rocket on the rail. This is usually only a problem when the rockets have tapered tailcones for me. Don't forget to retrieve it before you go home at the end of the day!

I’ve got a pair of slim workshop safety gloves like these:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/safety-zone-medium-gripflex-gripper-safety-gloves_p5812941

IMG_9080.jpg
(But mine are cooler - they’re black. [emoji12])

Exhaust makes the rails nasty and I cut my finger on something small once - man did it get infected. Ever since, I use these gloves when raising/lowering or handling/ cleaning the rails.

They also help with preventing cuts during setup/pack down of the range (or finger jams with the damn sliding mechanisms on the legs of the canopies we erect to sit under!!)

I would add some disposable gloves in case you need to do something messy (say clean and scrub the rail).

I would always bring nitrile gloves because I hate to get dog barf and junk on my hands before and cleaning up after launch. Probably already in your kit though.

Like your regular range box, I suggest having a small first aid kit with you.

Back