Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw - Owner comments/critiques?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Thinking about getting one:

Dremel MS20-01 Moto-Saw Variable Speed Compact Scroll Saw Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFELU6O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-...Plastic-Laminates-and-Metal-MS20-01/203899883

dremel-scroll-saws-ms20-01-64_1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these is my current scroll saw since I can no longer get blades for the Craftsman my Dad gave me long ago (and it was old then). No one makes/sells 4 inch pin-end blades anymore.

I like the variable speed and work hold-down. I find both of them helpful to use and better than the aforementioned old Craftsman. Getting the handheld part (grey in the picture) in and out of the part you fasten to a work table (the black) can be a little fussy, as can figuring out how to get it all back in the case in which it comes (or in which mine came, anyway).

I have not had a chance to try the vacuum dust collector fitting as I don't have a shop vac that's compatible.

It handles up to 1/8 birch plywood with no problem and I suspect with a finer-toothed blade it would even cut aluminum sheet up to perhaps 1/16 inch thick. All in all I've been pleased with it for model work (airplanes and rockets).

I have not tried it in hand-held mode. I have only used it fastened to a table/workmate.

One of these is my current scroll saw since I can no longer get blades for the Craftsman my Dad gave me long ago (and it was old then). No one makes/sells 4 inch pin-end blades anymore.

I like the variable speed and work hold-down. I find both of them helpful to use and better than the aforementioned old Craftsman. Getting the handheld part (grey in the picture) in and out of the part you fasten to a work table (the black) can be a little fussy, as can figuring out how to get it all back in the case in which it comes (or in which mine came, anyway).

I have not had a chance to try the vacuum dust collector fitting as I don't have a shop vac that's compatible.

It handles up to 1/8 birch plywood with no problem and I suspect with a finer-toothed blade it would even cut aluminum sheet up to perhaps 1/16 inch thick. All in all I've been pleased with it for model work (airplanes and rockets).

I have not tried it in hand-held mode. I have only used it fastened to a table/workmate.
Thanks for the input. I mainly use 3/16 and 1/4" birch plywood, so I searched the questions about the saw on Amazon using the keyword "plywood" and found this:

I have cut bass wood up to 1.5 inches and 0.5 inch plywood with no problems. Just be sure to rest the sliding plastic foot on top of the wood to eliminate vibrations and wood movement. This is a very good tool, and I use it extensively in my wood carving hobby.

...the height of the blade allows to cut more than 2" , I have used it to cut solid wood and plywood of 1" thick, no problems.

Definitely getting one.

I suspect with the right blade, taking the advice to keep the hold-down foot firmly on the work and not being in a hurry that it will handle 3/16 and 1/4 birch ply. I haven't tried anything that thick so can't say from experience....but it certainly seems plausible.

Back