How do They Decide Who Gets to Guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Wow, very impressive. Too bad this video wasn't available on Memorial Day. The cover frame of the video claims "weird traditions", but nothing is "weird" nor do they make that comment anywhere in the video.

Not covered: where the 21 steps, 21 seconds, 21 gun salute, etc., originated:

https://history.army.mil/html/faq/salute.html

The tradition of rendering a salute by cannon originated in the 14th century as firearms and cannons came into use. Since these early devices contained only one projectile, discharging them once rendered them ineffective. Originally warships fired seven-gun salutes--the number seven probably selected because of its astrological and Biblical significance. Seven planets had been identified and the phases of the moon changed every seven days. The Bible states that God rested on the seventh day after Creation, that every seventh year was sabbatical and that the seven times seventh year ushered in the Jubilee year.

Land batteries, having a greater supply of gunpowder, were able to fire three guns for every shot fired afloat, hence the salute by shore batteries was 21 guns. The multiple of three probably was chosen because of the mystical significance of the number three in many ancient civilizations. Early gunpowder, composed mainly of sodium nitrate, spoiled easily at sea, but could be kept cooler and drier in land magazines. When potassium nitrate improved the quality of gunpowder, ships at sea adopted the salute of 21 guns.

How do They Decide Who Gets to Guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?
2 Jun 2018

[video=youtube;J79-dpcj9AE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J79-dpcj9AE[/video]

I had to go back and verify it, but the gaurds at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are drawn from the US ARMY 3rd Infantry Division, the same group that also does the military funerals at Arlington, and iirc the also have the last horse mounted (mainly the caissons) unit in the US military. I was stationed at Ft. Belvoir many years ago and attended several funerals at Arlington.

https://tombguard.org/tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier/the-tomb-guard/

Just to clarify, guards are recruited from the 3rd Infantry Regiment, "The Old Guard". Two of its battalions are based at Ft. Myer, VA.

"The Unknown Soldier" was one of my favorite DC comic book characters. Set in WWII, he was a GI who got his face basically blown off and lost his memory. So Army Intelligence trained him as an operative. Because he had no face and was a good mimic, he could disguise himself as anyone. Many times in the story, you don't find out which character is the Unknown Soldier until the end. Other times they would clue you in by showing him scratching his face (the masks he wore were very itchy).

It is a huge honor to be selected and only the best make it. They demand perfection.

I visited the Tomb of the Unknowns back in July 2008 with a good friend from Australia. During the changing of the guard, someone in the crowd was making some sort of racket. One of the sentinels stopped, marched toward the crowd where the racket originated, stopped and then yelled in the most authoritative voice I have ever heard, "You WILL show the proper respect". Then, silence.

Most impressive display.

I visited the Tomb of the Unknowns in 2007. One of the most moving experiences I've ever had. Thank you for posting the video, it was very interesting.

I visited the Tomb of the Unknowns back in July 2008 with a good friend from Australia. During the changing of the guard, someone in the crowd was making some sort of racket. One of the sentinels stopped, marched toward the crowd where the racket originated, stopped and then yelled in the most authoritative voice I have ever heard, "You WILL show the proper respect". Then, silence.

Most impressive display.
"It is requested that all visitors maintain an atmosphere of silence and respect." I believe is the wording.

Back