Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Nifty location tracker... adaptable to rocketry?

I know nothing more than having just looked at this Indiegogo page: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...-family-kids#/

Seems neat, claims range of 3 miles. I wonder if it's adaptable to rocketry...

It does look really interesting. Doesn't say the size or weight, but looks doubtful for small and mid-power.

I would love something that simple and intuitive to use, and does not require cellular fees.

Wonder how it would react to high-G's or mach+ speeds?

Bill
    Member - MTMA
    Akron, Ohio

"Rather than cursing the rose bush for having thorns, it is better to thank the thorn bush for having roses."

Currently searching for that sweet spot between "Paralysis by Analysis" and "Extinct by using Instinct"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rocket View Post
    It does look really interesting. Doesn't say the size or weight, but looks doubtful for small and mid-power.

I would love something that simple and intuitive to use, and does not require cellular fees.

Wonder how it would react to high-G's or mach+ speeds?
    +1. I was coming here to say the same things you did. I can, however, offer dimensions and weights. If you scroll down far enough it has this info:

Dimensions: 4"x2"x1
    Weight: 73g
    Max range: 3 miles
    GPS Accuracy: Typically 12 to 15 feet
    Accuracy of directional indicator: 5 degrees.

It's a bit big, but it's designed to be handheld. It looks like it would fit into a 2.6" diameter airframe.

It doesn't say what happens if signal is lost.

It does note "WEATHERPROOF, WATERPROOF, MILITARY-TESTED DURABILITY" although it doesn't explain what that means or give shock ratings. I'm thinking of getting one since I can also use it with my family.
    NAR
    L1: 2/2/13, Madcow 4" Patriot. CTI H143
    L2: 9/2/14, Madcow 4" AGM33 Pike. CTI J335. 2,878 ft, 418 mph
    L3: 1/7/17, Wildman Drago XL. AT M1500. 13,559 ft, 1,017 mph, Mach 1.2

With all the tracking options out there designed by rocketry folks, I'd save the money and buy from them. Adopting existing stuff is a hack and will always be that. I have a variety
    of high powered Byonics APRS trackers I was going to modify and see how far away I could ping and "get my position" out there. After passively tracking high altitude balloons
    all over the Midwest I got that desire out of my system. There was a digipeater in my town 1400 feet away from me with an antenna 100 feet up so effectively my home station
    was using that antenna to listen in on positions. Longest was from a balloon 425 miles away.

A guy in Iowa with the Nixhab moniker (flew rockets too) stuck a Kenwood D7A(g) up in a balloon and I knew danged well that H/T can do APRS messaging. Sure enough I fired off
    a bunch of APRS text messages to the balloon and after recovery, they were able to read them. A couple of weeks later I get an envelope with a CD of all the pictures taken
    and a stamped metal tag commemorating the flight. (Looked up my address from the callsign) Kurt