Question about RMS hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuso

Reaction score
I lost my only Aerotech RMS 24/40 hardware when my rocket went horizontal and parachute didn't eject. This hardware is sold out everywhere but I still have a bunch of reloads. Here's my question: can I safely fit a 24/40 reload into an Aerotech 24/60 case? I suspect the answer is probably no, but perhaps there is a spacer available?

I am a BAR and the hobby has changed so much since the late 70's. I'm studying hard and trying to catch up with all the advancements.

I do not believe there is any spacer system for the Hobbyline hardware. And yes, that motor case is hard to find.

Yea. That one I lost I was from a member here who did me a favor. Perhaps I'll post on the wanted/for sale thread. Or, Apogee has the 24/60, but limited motors and the ones they have are more power than I need or want.

I lost my only Aerotech RMS 24/40 hardware when my rocket went horizontal and parachute didn't eject. This hardware is sold out everywhere but I still have a bunch of reloads. Here's my question: can I safely fit a 24/40 reload into an Aerotech 24/60 case? I suspect the answer is probably no, but perhaps there is a spacer available?

I spoke with Charlie @ Aerotech last weekend an NSL, 24/40 hardware is back. I picked up a 24/40 case from him, and he said dealers would be getting the hardware this week. For example, Chris' Rocket Supplies has 23 of them :

https://www.csrocketry.com/rocket-motors/aerotech-rocketry/hardware/24mm/24/40-hardware.html

cheers - mark

Here is something else that is interesting that I found out. The 24/60 closures do not fit the 24/40 case. To answer the original question you cannot use 24/40 reloads in a 24/60 motor case.

I do not believe there is any spacer system for the Hobbyline hardware. And yes, that motor case is hard to find.

Correct there is no spacer system for the 24/60 case. But the 29/40-120 does use a grain "spacer" on the smaller reloads. Aerotech had the original spacer system with the 29/40-120 case. The spacer comes with the reload and not the hardware. So you have a lot of options from E to G motors with the 29/40-120 case.

Outside diameter of the casings are the same, but the inside diameter is different and the threads are different.

The 24/40 reloads will not fit inside a 24/60, so the spacer question is moot.

As noted, 24/40 motor casings are now available again, so place your order(s) ASAP to get them as soon as they reach the retailers.

I am a BAR and the hobby has changed so much since the late 70's. I'm studying hard and trying to catch up with all the advancements.

Outside diameter of the casings are the same, but the inside diameter is different and the threads are different.

The 24/40 reloads will not fit inside a 24/60, so the spacer question is moot.

As noted, 24/40 motor casings are now available again, so place your order(s) ASAP to get them as soon as they reach the retailers.

Yep. This. The 24/40 grains have a larger diameter.

I don't imagine one can get a 29/40-120 motor to fit in a 24mm motor mount. :wink: I think there is a similar spacer in the 24/40 though, to take up the difference between the small D and larger E, but I may mistaken.

Back