OROC Northwest Xtreme Rocket Show

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to who's coming to NXRS this year and what you're bringing! I'll be bringing my 4" Mad Dog, and flying a J800 or potentially a DMS K motor, haven't decided yet.

My room mate is looking to get his L1 on his shortened/ re-kitted and salvaged PML Callisto.

Hoping to see some cool projects there, it'll be my first Brothers launch.

Braden

I will be there Friday through Sunday.

We will probably leave the upscale (5X) Dragonfly at home, as the Rocket Girls are off to Washington DC that week. I might end up bringing it and flying without them - Rob A just purchased a barrel full of pixie dust and is itching to cast some propellant.

If I don't bring Bob of the Future that means I may actually get to fly my own rockets. I have four HPR builds that have yet to fly - a Bigger Daddy, a Tin Pterodactyl, and two scratch builds.

Chester has been itching to try out his latest Cheeto Chaser...

IMG_2409.jpg

Looks like you actually get to fly your own rockets :) Mixer is in pieces awaiting rebuild and we are changing to a new curative and waiting for the 'test batch' to get characterized and all nice to play with. Which means that you will probably get a 4" motor for BALLS

I will be there from Thursday through Monday, being all safety minded and taking the rangeland firefighter course on Thursday and Friday morn.
So far, I have plans for the Mongoose on an M2500ish, and a two stager 54mm to 38mm motors. There is also a newly opened Star Orbiter on the kitchen table that may be prepared for a H54 longburn.

NXRS Contests 2018:

Highest Altitude with Multi Stage and/or Clustered Rocket —- prize TBD —–Sunriver Observatory

• Rocket has to have more than one motor/engine. May be clustered, may be staged.
  • Points per flight – altitude multiplied by number of motors in that flight,
examples –
rocket does 7,000 ft on a cluster of 4 motors, total points for that flight; 4*7,000 = 28,000 points
staged rocket does 22,000 ft on two motors, total points for that flight; 2*22,000 = 44,000 points

Lowest Altitude on an M motor —- prize TBD —- sponsored by Bay Area Rocketry

• How low can you go? This one is obvious, fly an outhouse or other non-aerodynamic object (table, car, Doberman pinscher) and get the LOWEST altitude that you can get

WaiverBait —- 1st place gets choice of BRB900 setup or 100mw BRB TX, 2nd place get what 1st place didn’t run away with! :facepalm: — sponsored by BigRedBee Trackers

• Fly the closest to the standard waiver without going over: 20,460 ft AGL (above ground level), (not the higher one, because we DON’T want people busting that one!).

ShredStes —- $75 Certificate for each category

• An event for almost everyone.
Rules – Highest altitude with an Estes PSII kit.

• [*=1]Stock: Estes kit, as purchased, 29mm MMT, altimeter bays and other additions for recording altitude should be made of lightweight materials and NO metal parts – this forces you to have to be creative.
    [*=1]Open: Estes PSII kit. Has to look exactly like the picture on the insert card (except motor mount). Unlimited motor mounts, you can go wild inside. RSO’s have the final say for ‘flight worthiness’.

Multiple entries allowable in all categories. Points DO NOT STACK!
All altitudes have to be verified with an altimeter reading.

I will be there Friday through Sunday.

We will probably leave the upscale (5X) Dragonfly at home, as the Rocket Girls are off to Washington DC that week. I might end up bringing it and flying without them - Rob A just purchased a barrel full of pixie dust and is itching to cast some propellant.

If I don't bring Bob of the Future that means I may actually get to fly my own rockets. I have four HPR builds that have yet to fly - a Bigger Daddy, a Tin Pterodactyl, and two scratch builds.

Chester has been itching to try out his latest Cheeto Chaser...

View attachment 346111
Awesome rocket

Thanks OROC!
For the looks of how packed in the campers were, I think it's another attendance record and flight record.
We had a few N's to fly - all 100% perfect!

N #1: My Int-5 on one of my 99% N-4200's - went a little over 29k AGL:
upload_2018-7-2_14-22-59.jpg

N #2: Gabe 4.5" scratch-built on a 50% N-3300's I made - went a little over 27k AGL
upload_2018-7-2_14-22-44.jpg

N #3: Vicki's Int-5 on a 13% N-2450 of mine - went about 22.4k AGL
upload_2018-7-2_14-24-0.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_14-16-44.jpg
    upload_2018-7-2_14-16-44.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 27
  • upload_2018-7-2_14-21-46.jpg
    upload_2018-7-2_14-21-46.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 24
Fred, how long is that case on your 99% N?

I dont guess anyone ran across a 54mm MD with a 4000 case in it at this launch? Lost in May.

Fred, how long is that case on your 99% N?

Don't have it here to measure, but about 56" long.

The competions had some interesting entries. The most popular categories..... ShredStes.

22 entries into the ShredStes categories - 4 survivors

I have to say that I am mighty proud of my precision landings, a 24mm Vortico on the LCO table and Chester's Cheeto Chaser IV hanging from the East flagpole.

Back