Fiberglass imperfections

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
Started building my WM 2 stage rocket and came across some odd cuts. Fortunately they didn't cut enough off rather than cut too much.

Imperfections are about the diameter of a nickel and as high as 3/16". Was thinking of using my Dremel but not sure if I will cut it straight. Saw blades will definitely make it worse as they don't have enough teeth. Sanding it down seems like it may work but will be slow.

I have a half respirator so I am not concerned about dust. Just want it straight so everything fits. Thoughts?

The return of "Nub Gate". There are many posts about this.

More commonly known as the bottom of tube when cutting with chop saw nub. The tube separates right before blade goes all the way through leaving a small thin "nub" on side that separates from tubing.

If worried about dust, just wetland.

Simply stand tube on end over sand paper, that's flat on table, and with circular or figure 8 motion...sand nub off till tube has square cut.

If in fact you are talking about the ends of tubing.

Last edited:
The return of "Nub Gate". There are many posts about this.

More commonly known as the bottom of tube when cutting with chop saw nub. The tube separates right before blade goes all the way through leaving a small thin "nub" on side that separates from tubing.

If worried about dust, just wetland.

Simply stand tube on end over sand paper, that's flat on table, and with circular or figure 8 motion...sand nub off till tube has square cut.

If in fact you are talking about the ends of tubing.

Thank you! I had no idea what key word to use that would get me what I needed. Nub Gate... never would have considered that one :D

I've only ever bought one Wildman kit, and it was years ago, but it had that problem. I, too, sanded it off.

Latest posts

Back