Streamer and Chute = Added Visibility?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Is there a solid reason to not use a streamer and a chute for a small rocket... to help with visibility at recovery?

At an estimated 1000 ft apogee and a total length of less than 1 foot .... my scratch built X-Wing I fear will need all the help I can give it.

What's the final estimated weight? It doesn't seem totally outlandish that you could get by with just a streamer (just not sure there's room to pack it in there).

Mylar streamers are good for visibility. I'm not sure if you'd have to take steps to prevent tangling if you went with streamer + parachute.

Certainly I would assume you'll be flying that thing much lower first, to see how things go. If you can't track it at 500 ft. then I sure wouldn't send it to 1000. That is a small rocket to launch to 1000 ft.

What's the final estimated weight? It doesn't seem totally outlandish that you could get by with just a streamer (just not sure there's room to pack it in there).

Mylar streamers are good for visibility. I'm not sure if you'd have to take steps to prevent tangling if you went with streamer + parachute.

Certainly I would assume you'll be flying that thing much lower first, to see how things go. If you can't track it at 500 ft. then I sure wouldn't send it to 1000. That is a small rocket to launch to 1000 ft.

Excellent counsel. I'm building a motor mount for C-Size motors.. but I'm thinking ahead to the D12-5.

if you want a streamer, just do it! both is a strange combination. tangling or excessive drift are just 2 problems I can think of off hand.
For my CATO pumpkin chunker I bring the fin can down on a really long streamer, no problems and it's a 4 inch rocket flying 2 G-80s

Back