Bomarc scale info?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
We're looking at doing a scale Bomarc. What's a good source for dimensions/data?

Note the drawing on the right is a drawing for a display model, not a drawing of the actual missile, it shows the B model ramjets, but the nose is not B model shaped, if you look at photos, this drawing may have come from me, I got it from a boeing employee long ago and scanned/posted it, but it's the best most of us have of something regarding a bomarc. Note if you are making a rocket and not a glider, the A model is a better choice since the wing is further back than on the b model which has the straighter ramjet tail sections. If you look at photos the wing is noticably further forward on the later model.

Frank

Note the drawing on the right is a drawing for a display model, not a drawing of the actual missile, it shows the B model ramjets, but the nose is not B model shaped, if you look at photos, this drawing may have come from me, I got it from a boeing employee long ago and scanned/posted it, but it's the best most of us have of something regarding a bomarc. Note if you are making a rocket and not a glider, the A model is a better choice since the wing is further back than on the b model which has the straighter ramjet tail sections. If you look at photos the wing is noticably further forward on the later model.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. Gotta dig through my photo archives and see what I have. The folks in the club say there was also a single ramjet version. Is this true? Never heard of it. The model is going to be about 7" in dia. (and however long this is) - someone already has the tubing. I mentioned glider recovery. This got a good laugh...

I don't know of a single ramjet version but there was a test flight of the booster that has no ramjets.

There was at least one test flight of the Bomarc without ramjets that was used to test the IRFNA liquid booster motor, they may have done similar when they went to the B motor with solid fuel booster and moved the wing forward. These are the only two photos I can find, and one recruiter postcard which also seems to show a ventral, note the black early version had a much more pointy nose cone. I can't find a photo of a white one flying without ramjets. The white one is hard to tell but it looks like the vertical stab is short and there is a ventral the same size as well. There were early drawings of a bomarc with a rear mounted single ramjet. They might be thinking of the X-7 test vehicle that was used to test ramjets, and I think the marquardt ramjet used eventually on the bomarc. James Duffy(rocket.aero) makes/made a great dvd showing a lot of the bomarc launches and history, some may be on youtube for viewing. I also posted this video I got from the same boeing source 20 + years ago showing the sage/bomarc system, sort of historical drama/fiction

[video=youtube;uzhkMujY4AQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhkMujY4AQ[/video]

XF-99_Bomarc_prototype_on_launching_pad_c1952.jpg

USAF IM-99 BOMARC_tatteredandlost.jpg

70daff625eff35fc71440f46688e9313--politicians-.jpg

1960s-US-Air-Force-Recruiters-Card-Bomarc-Interceptor.jpg

Last edited:
Note the drawing on the right is a drawing for a display model, not a drawing of the actual missile, it shows the B model ramjets, but the nose is not B model shaped ...[snip]

I'm confused by the above statement. (emphasis mine) It's taken me a bit to find a decent set of comparative photos, but shown below is an IM-99A next to an IM-99B. I can see the differences in the ram-jets (aft body and nose spike) as well as the fore/aft location of the wing but I don't see a difference in the nose. What did they change?

9988987075_c83f2acc9b_k.jpg

9988980485_290e2d8a32_k.jpg

There are also noticeable differences in the fittings on the vertical tail. Paint on the rear one looks authentic.

Same round: (there is at least one more on skytamer.com too)
2019.jpg

Back