Interpreting Eggtimer Data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I used an Eggtimer Quantum today for my first successful electronic staging today. The airstart worked beautifully using the main channel, but I think the ejection charge, which was set for nose-over on the drogue channel, fired prematurely. I'm trying to figure out what happened, but I'm not quite sure of the best way to plot and interpret the flight data. (An Excel sheet is attached.)

Am I correct in assuming that the Falt and Fveloc data are filtered altitude and filtered velocity data (presumably the derivative of Falt)? Should I plot this or the raw alt and veloc data? What is represented by the values in the columns on the right?

Side note: Does anyone have a suggestion for free or cheap software (preferably Mac) that lets me plot data and then zoom in on the graph? I know, I know....I'm a scientist, so you would think I would be fluent in MatLab. But I'm an organic chemist--I took a lot of math classes in college and never use them.

View attachment Electronic Staging Data, RIMRA 5-26-18.xlsx

Last edited:
I use the Falt and Fveloc values since Alt and Veloc are raw baro readings and not filtered to remove noise from pressure differences not created by a change in altitude.

LDA = Launch Detect Altitude
LowV = The altitude in which the rocket slowed under 100 ft/sec
NO - The altitude at which the rocket nosed over

You can download a copy of the Quantum User's Guide here:https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/attachments/File/Eggtimer_Quantum_1_06Q.pdf to get more detailed info on reading the table.

I used an Eggtimer Quantum today for my first successful electronic staging today. The airstart worked beautifully using the main channel, but I think the ejection charge, which was set for nose-over on the drogue channel, fired prematurely. I'm trying to figure out what happened, but I'm not quite sure of the best way to plot and interpret the flight data. (An Excel sheet is attached.)

Am I correct in assuming that the Falt and Fveloc data are filtered altitude and filtered velocity data (presumably the derivative of Falt)? Should I plot this or the raw alt and veloc data? What is represented by the values in the columns on the right?

Side note: Does anyone have a suggestion for free or cheap software (preferably Mac) that lets me plot data and then zoom in on the graph? I know, I know....I'm a scientist, so you would think I would be fluent in MatLab. But I'm an organic chemist--I took a lot of math classes in college and never use them.

View attachment 345336

I don't know anything about airstarts or Eggtimer data, but the alt and vel curves look like garbage, even filtered. :confused2:

As for plotting, you have the Excel sheet, so use Excel. No math needed for simple X-Y plotting!

If the Quantum was inside a transition or the static ports were not in clean airflow the data curves will be noisy.

I just read the Eggtimer article in Sport Rocketry. The author showed some bizarre altitude plots from the Quantum.

I use the Falt and Fveloc values since Alt and Veloc are raw baro readings and not filtered to remove noise from pressure differences not created by a change in altitude.

LDA = Launch Detect Altitude
LowV = The altitude in which the rocket slowed under 100 ft/sec
NO - The altitude at which the rocket nosed over

You can download a copy of the Quantum User's Guide here:https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/attachments/File/Eggtimer_Quantum_1_06Q.pdf to get more detailed info on reading the table.

Thanks. I had been pouring over the airstart guide so much lately; I forgot to look at the regular manual.

If the Quantum was inside a transition or the static ports were not in clean airflow the data curves will be noisy.

Here's a pic of the av bay and the static port. It had only one 1/8" port in a 1.6" x 5" clear BT60 payload bay. Maybe that's the issue? The "sled" was just wedged into the bay, between the bulkhead and the nosecone. I suppose it's also possible that it was rotated in a way that made for some turbulent airflow between the port and the barometric sensor.

IMG_1456 copy.jpg

I just read the Eggtimer article in Sport Rocketry. The author showed some bizarre altitude plots from the Quantum.

I really like the Quantum, so I hope my experience is a fluke. But you're right; my Fveloc plot is all over the place.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the av bay and the static port. It had only one 1/8" port in a 1.6" x 5" clear BT60 payload bay. Maybe that's the issue?

The user manual recommends 3 holes equally spaced. Using your figures above I calculate 3 holes 3/32" each.

The manual also states don't use one vent hole.

Back