Open Rocket Linux Problem--"Invalid Desktop Entry File"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
My brother gave me a Chromebook computer, which is very nice. If I want to run certain programs, such as JMRI, Arduino IDE, or Openrocket, though, I need to use Linux. My brother set it up for me, with CROSH and LXDE on the laptop, and I used sudo apt-get install openrocket. It automatically loaded and is even in the application menu under programming. The problem, though, is when I try to open it I get "Invalid Desktop Entry File: '/usr/share/applications/openrocket.desktop'" I searched but didn't see anyone else with this problem, but it must have come up for someone. Any ideas how to fix it?

You can install OR via apt-get? That's news to me. At the moment it's just a jar file.

Try just downloading the JAR from the OR page. You do have Java installed, right? OR requires Java 1.8 at the moment.

bdale created a package some time back iirc but the update mechanism is out of date due to the sourceforge --> git changeover.

If you have access to someone like that, what do they say about your error? I would try to find the jar on the command line and manually execute it, at a guess the shortcut is malformed.

You can install OR via apt-get? That's news to me. At the moment it's just a jar file.

Try just downloading the JAR from the OR page. You do have Java installed, right? OR requires Java 1.8 at the moment.

I suppose I will do that, but it seemed to be handy to apt-get install, and it worked for both Arduino and OR. Arduino runs fine.

bdale created a package some time back iirc but the update mechanism is out of date due to the sourceforge --> git changeover.

If you have access to someone like that, what do they say about your error? I would try to find the jar on the command line and manually execute it, at a guess the shortcut is malformed.

Someone like that? Do you mean my brother? He's in Alabama, so I can't just drop by. I asked via email, but he hasn't responded.

Back