starting to dis-like serpentine drive belts (grumble)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was another vehicle (don't remember) where you had to use a hoist to remove the plugs.
My college roommate had a Chevy Chevette in which, in order to change the rear two plugs and plug wires (or was it all of them?) you had to first remove the air-conditioning unit from the engine. His mechanic once referred to it as "the Chevy mechanics' retirement plan."

The worst of my cars to work on was the 2003 VW Golf TDI. Standard procedure was to remove the battery to replace the driver's side headlight, although you could just barely do it with long skinny fingers if you just unbolted the battery clip and slid the battery back as far as it would go. I looked really briefly at the procedure to replace the alternator. It started with "Remove the passenger side tire and open the access panel in the wheel well." That one went to a mechanic.

On our older Dodge minivan, you could only get at the back row of spark plugs if you had skinny arms, disassembled a bunch of stuff, and hugged the engine. Thank goodness for my spider monkey super powers, or it would have required dropping the engine. We had a couple of late 80's to mid 90's K cars, and those were pretty decent to work on.

My college roommate had a Chevy Chevette in which, in order to change the rear two plugs and plug wires (or was it all of them?) you had to first remove the air-conditioning unit from the engine. His mechanic once referred to it as "the Chevy mechanics' retirement plan."

I forgot all about those Chevettes. Fact is, probably every auto manufacturer had their lemons back in the day regardless of favorites.

I miss working on my old '84 suburban. You could crawl in the engine bay with a wrench and close the hood to keep warm working in winter months. Come to think of it, I worked on that truck enough for two lifetimes...

I do recall one of the longest strings of cursing I've ever heard was when my father and I went to change the belt in my mothers 2001 grand Cherokee and we realized the belt was around the motor mount.

Bob Glidden had run a Pro Stock Pinto for a short time. Along with Jenkins's Vega, they gave the Hemi Mopars a run for their money, albeit the Mopars were extremely heavy while the smaller, lighter Vegas and Pintos had the smaller engines. They could get off the line much quicker. Try kicking an empty box vs a brick and you'll see which leaves quicker.

I miss working on my old '84 suburban. You could crawl in the engine bay with a wrench and close the hood to keep warm working in winter months. Come to think of it, I worked on that truck enough for two lifetimes...

I do recall one of the longest strings of cursing I've ever heard was when my father and I went to change the belt in my mothers 2001 grand Cherokee and we realized the belt was around the motor mount.

I thought the longest strings of cursing went to Darren McGavin in Christmas Story.

I’ve probably spent more time rolling around under BMWs than you’ve spent breathing... They’re not reliable, but they’re great cars to work on. At least they were up until about 2006. Can’t speak for the front end of a Z3 mind you but I once replaced the alternator on a 325 in a mall parking lot (did I mention reliability?)

I “upgraded” to an Audi once bmw stared using turbo 4 bangers. Now that thing is a mechanics dream. The engineers at VW don’t believe in leaving extra space anywhere. You have to remove the front clip on mine to change the belts and something as simple as a thermostat is an 8 hour job. Differential acting up? 5 figure repair.

I miss my 75 super beetle. I do not miss applying a hair drying to the janky mechanical fuel injection in the winter to get it started, the lack of functional brakes, heater, working stereo or floor boards.

+1 the Audi's have very little space, most any engine part on the front, rear or lower sides of my 2000 A6 Quattro 2.7T requires pulling the engine...and it doesn't come out the top either...:facepalm:

There is so little space that I dropped a 02 socket down the backside of the motor AFAIK it still hasn't fallen out, and I can't see it using a mirror or an inspection camera, its like the damn car ate it.

I was in a drag race once against a Vega with the V8 mod. I had a Ford F150 with a 429 bored out to 437cid. The Vega had a 350. What the Vega dude didn't see, was me shift the transfer case into low range. The light turned green and I was GONE... Up to 30 mph... :wink: By the time he got traction and was past me, I was at top speed... But it sure was funny to see the look on his face :shock: when I spanked him off the line. :cool:

I was in a drag race once against a Vega with the V8 mod. I had a Ford F150 with a 429 bored out to 437cid. The Vega had a 350. What the Vega dude didn't see, was me shift the transfer case into low range. The light turned green and I was GONE... Up to 30 mph... :wink: By the time he got traction and was past me, I was at top speed... But it sure was funny to see the look on his face :shock: when I spanked him off the line. :cool:

Spent all his money on HP and nothing on transference of power to the asphalt.

How about the mid to late 2000 ford turd ( I mean turbo deisel ) that required you to raise the cab of the truck to do any turbo work on it . Those where a real hoot to work on.

I have a 02 trans am ram air, you gotta pull the motor out a bit to get to the aft 2 plugs. Unless you own a plug socket with 2 joints....glad they're 100,000 mile plugs. I got another 70k before i have to do that little project

At the rate you drive that thing that will be another 15-20 years before you have to worry about it.

Like this?

dscf2292.jpg

That's not a timing belt... it's the generator/fan belt. Bugs used timing gears, like all pushrod motors did back in the day. Once they went to overhead cams, they had to drive them from the crankshaft somehow... thus the timing chain/belt was born.

Seems unusual to have have to do something as extreme as loosen a motor mount for a serpintine belt, generally they are designed to slip on fairly easily without actually having to loosen any components ( like used to have to happen with dedicated alternator, power steering, fan and water pump belts, a/c too). I know that space can be extremely limited like in my wifes 05 Plymouth Town and Country, or my Audi, mainly due to my large hands, however the T&C does require an actual serpentine belt tool and removal of the inner fender liner (liner is easily removeable for this reason).

That's not a timing belt... it's the generator/fan belt. Bugs used timing gears, like all pushrod motors did back in the day. Once they went to overhead cams, they had to drive them from the crankshaft somehow... thus the timing chain/belt was born.

I was asking Andrew ASC if that was the motor he saw, since it matched his description of foreign, rear mounted and as large as a riding mower engine. He was describing a beetle engine.

Back