Bombs Away! Nerf whistling football bomber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I bought one of these Nerf Vortex Howler Accelerator toys at target.

nerf-sports-vortex-howler-accelerator-wholesale-20301.jpg

The little football dart thingy has whistles in it that whistle when it is thrown. I’m thinking about putting a bunch of these in a rocket and having them rain down from above, like a load of whistling bombs.

I took the thing to the park and threw it around a few times to see how it works. It whistles pretty well! And if you throw it straight up, it goes silent as it slows toward apogee, but it picks up enough speed after apogee to whistle as it falls. It really doesn’t have to be going fast at all to make a pretty good sound.

I got this one at Target for about 13 bucks for the toy and the two accelerators, which are not necessary. Nerf doesn’t seem to sell just the football thing in this size on its own. But I found what looks to be the same thing at Oriental Trading Company for under $5. At that price, I can afford a pretty good bomb payload! https://www.orientaltrading.com/whistling-missile-football-a2-13686081.fltr

I’m thinking about doing some experiments with a small BT80 payload bay, dropping a single nerf bomb. If it works, I’m thinking of adding a payload section to my Warlock for the purposes of dropping a dozen whistling nerf bombs (or an entire platoon of monkey paratroops).

Also, this nerf howler whistle might be just the thing for whistling rockets. I know a few people have experimented with adding different types of whistles to rockets, with little success. Those whistles were mostly designed to be blown through, so it wasn’t possible to make a modification to ram air into the mouth of the whistle and have it work. But these nerf howler whistles are designed to work with air passing over the whistle opening, not blowing into the whistle. It seems like it would work if mounted on a rocket. I may need to dig a few of these whistles out of their footballs and try attaching them to a rocket.

Combine the two... Howler Monkeys

[video=youtube;EajC52lgFys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajC52lgFys[/video]

Been through a failure trying to use those blow-thru whistles also and considered something my neighbor showed me. These things whistle pretty good from the get-go. They sound off best at take off and might be a good candidate for liftoff whistling. I'm thinking the angle these whistles have on the foam nose cone probably assists in it's ability to whistle so well. These aren't blo-thru whistles either. That are pass-over like the other NERF toys.

Sky Ripperz 1.jpg

I bought one of these Nerf Vortex Howler Accelerator toys at target.

nerf-sports-vortex-howler-accelerator-wholesale-20301.jpg

The little football dart thingy has whistles in it that whistle when it is thrown. I’m thinking about putting a bunch of these in a rocket and having them rain down from above, like a load of whistling bombs.

I took the thing to the park and threw it around a few times to see how it works. It whistles pretty well! And if you throw it straight up, it goes silent as it slows toward apogee, but it picks up enough speed after apogee to whistle as it falls. It really doesn’t have to be going fast at all to make a pretty good sound.

I got this one at Target for about 13 bucks for the toy and the two accelerators, which are not necessary. Nerf doesn’t seem to sell just the football thing in this size on its own. But I found what looks to be the same thing at Oriental Trading Company for under $5. At that price, I can afford a pretty good bomb payload! https://www.orientaltrading.com/whistling-missile-football-a2-13686081.fltr

I’m thinking about doing some experiments with a small BT80 payload bay, dropping a single nerf bomb. If it works, I’m thinking of adding a payload section to my Warlock for the purposes of dropping a dozen whistling nerf bombs (or an entire platoon of monkey paratroops).

Also, this nerf howler whistle might be just the thing for whistling rockets. I know a few people have experimented with adding different types of whistles to rockets, with little success. Those whistles were mostly designed to be blown through, so it wasn’t possible to make a modification to ram air into the mouth of the whistle and have it work. But these nerf howler whistles are designed to work with air passing over the whistle opening, not blowing into the whistle. It seems like it would work if mounted on a rocket. I may need to dig a few of these whistles out of their footballs and try attaching them to a rocket.

I’ve been waiting for the one my kids have to break so that I can fin mount the whistlers.

Combine the two... Howler Monkeys

[video=youtube;EajC52lgFys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajC52lgFys[/video]

The monkey I have launched in the past was very stoic about the whole thing and didn’t make a peep. This guy seems like he would complain the whole time!

Let me know how this goes, I've been working on the whistling problem for a while without success. Even tried real whistles with an air scoop without success.

This design might prove simpler

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62920-Hail-Mary&highlight=seahawks

It is based on the Estes Pop Fly rocket, where the launch rod actually extends through the ball.

How did that one go? That would probably work.

This particular nerf toy is a small version of their larger vortex footbal. It’s only about 2” in diameter, so it can slide down inside a BT80 tube. I built a BT80 payload bay for my previous Maxi Alpha 3, and recently built another MAIII. So I think if I tether the nose cone to the payload and leave it in loose, I can put the football inside, and when the chute deploys, the payload bay will dangle upside down, NC will slip out of the payload section, and the football will fall out. That’s my plan for testing the idea.

Nerf also makes a larger version of the whistling ball. That one would have to ride similar to your design, or take a huge payload bay. I bought one of the big ones too, but I don't think it whistles as well, and it’s more expensive per ball.

Thirsty, you know I luv ya, and I don't want to be a downer, but I'm thinking this is not such a great idea.
Check out fyrwyrx's rear window and the foam pool toy that took it out when it "rained down from above".
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=259243&d=1427468746
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=258941&d=1427171351

yikes.

s6

As you said — YIKES!

From the pictures, it looks like the pool noodle has a motor casing inside it. Did it hit the window under thrust? If an HPR motor hits your window under thrust, it’s gonna bust something, even if it’s stuffed inside a pool noodle. I’d like to get some details about the window accident before ruling out the nerf drop.

I don’t want to do anything unsafe, but I can’t imagine this toy getting enough speed by falling to do any damage. I wonder what the terminal velocity of a falling, 2” diameter, foam football is. Does it fall faster than I can throw it with the accelerator stick?

Been through a failure trying to use those blow-thru whistles also and considered something my neighbor showed me. These things whistle pretty good from the get-go. They sound off best at take off and might be a good candidate for liftoff whistling. I'm thinking the angle these whistles have on the foam nose cone probably assists in it's ability to whistle so well. These aren't blo-thru whistles either. That are pass-over like the other NERF toys.

Once I started looking for whistling toys, I saw these too. I might need to buy some for experimental purposes. It looks like the same kind of whistle the football uses.

I remember like Gary that we had a whistler thread several years ago. I tried my own experiments and felt that they didn't work. If anyone gets something to work, I would be interested to see or hear the results. I think there was someone on Rocket Reviews years ago that claimed that they got an Estes whistling rocket to work. I have never heard anything else to corroborate those claims.

On some of the RC plane forums, they are using these nerf whistles inside the EDF planes to add a jet engine whine sound to the planes. It’s mounted inside in the path of the air from the fan.

According to them, the whistle is about an inch deep below the surface of the ball, so you need to mount it on something where you can recess the rest of the whistle below the surface.

You can also also change the pitch by changing the depth of that chamber.

And they say the angle of the whistle in the airstream is important.

So for mounting the whistle on a rocket, it sounds like it would not mount well on the fins. You might be able to recess it into the side of a body tube or nosecone. I have a few things I can use for experiments.

I remember like Gary that we had a whistler thread several years ago. I tried my own experiments and felt that they didn't work. If anyone gets something to work, I would be interested to see or hear the results. I think there was someone on Rocket Reviews years ago that claimed that they got an Estes whistling rocket to work. I have never heard anything else to corroborate those claims.

I read a few whistling rocket threads, and never saw a design that worked. But as I recall, every one of them involved the kinds of whistles you blow through, and the strategy was to create a ram or funnel to push the airflow through the mouthpiece. These whistles are different, because they are already design to work with an airstream that is flowing ove the surface of an object, not through the whistle.

If I can be the first to get my rocket to whistle, do I win a prize? :wink:

As you said — YIKES!

From the pictures, it looks like the pool noodle has a motor casing inside it. Did it hit the window under thrust? If an HPR motor hits your window under thrust, it’s gonna bust something, even if it’s stuffed inside a pool noodle. I’d like to get some details about the window accident before ruling out the nerf drop.

I don’t want to do anything unsafe, but I can’t imagine this toy getting enough speed by falling to do any damage. I wonder what the terminal velocity of a falling, 2” diameter, foam football is. Does it fall faster than I can throw it with the accelerator stick?

As I remember it, it was an LPR flight, with an Estes bp motor, and it was not under thrust at the time of impact but rather coming down post-apogee. It should be said that fyrwyrx's rear hatch was open at the time and so the window was horizontal and the incoming "bomb" came down straight into it, and I also know that these hatch windows are nowhere near as beefy as a windshield. Still, foam toy smashes car window in any case.

As to your pondering on the terminal velocity of the toy in question, and if it falls faster than you can throw it....seems like a cool question to answer. This IS rocket science after all ain't it? Sounds like you could set up some cool experiments (in the name of science and learning) to find out. Think Mythbusters style. Drop the "bomb" from various heights and measure the impact or speed, or some such. Or you could say go to a Walmart parking lot (perhaps way out at the fringes, with an easy escape route), take your bomb and accelerator stick, and chuck it at various car windows and see if you can break one! Fun AND learning, oh boy.

s6

As I remember it, it was an LPR flight, with an Estes bp motor, and it was not under thrust at the time of impact but rather coming down post-apogee. It should be said that fyrwyrx's rear hatch was open at the time and so the window was horizontal and the incoming "bomb" came down straight into it, and I also know that these hatch windows are nowhere near as beefy as a windshield. Still, foam toy smashes car window in any case.

As to your pondering on the terminal velocity of the toy in question, and if it falls faster than you can throw it....seems like a cool question to answer. This IS rocket science after all ain't it? Sounds like you could set up some cool experiments (in the name of science and learning) to find out. Think Mythbusters style. Drop the "bomb" from various heights and measure the impact or speed, or some such. Or you could say go to a Walmart parking lot (perhaps way out at the fringes, with an easy escape route), take your bomb and accelerator stick, and chuck it at various car windows and see if you can break one! Fun AND learning, oh boy.

s6

That’s pretty surprising that a pool noodle rocket could fall fast enough to break glass. I just weighed the small green ball, and it’s just barely over an ounce — 32 grams. The big ball is over 4 ounces and seems firmer. I would not want to be nailed by the big nerf, but I think the small one would have trouble falling fast enough to be dangerous. I’d be sure to get permission from the club first before dropping a load of these at a club launch.

I have some of the Nerf whistling darts that I've glued onto my Halloween rocket for sound effects. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, hopefully this fall the weather and fire gods will cooperate.
91Ci8esLHTL._SX355_.jpg

I have some of the Nerf whistling darts that I've glued onto my Halloween rocket for sound effects. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, hopefully this fall the weather and fire gods will cooperate.
91Ci8esLHTL._SX355_.jpg

Cool! I'd like to know how well that works. I'm curious how loud the whistle is.

For the Mythbuster's experiments in free falling pennies and other objects, I remember that Adam arranged an apparatus that blew air up a tube of clear plastic, then dropped in the object being measured, and adjusted the airspeed until it no longer fell, but stayed suspended in the airstream. That kind of rig could get you some answers.

For the Mythbuster's experiments in free falling pennies and other objects, I remember that Adam arranged an apparatus that blew air up a tube of clear plastic, then dropped in the object being measured, and adjusted the airspeed until it no longer fell, but stayed suspended in the airstream. That kind of rig could get you some answers.

Maybe I can get Adam to rig me up one.

Cool! I'd like to know how well that works. I'm curious how loud the whistle is.

I don't have anything to compare them to but they sound cool up close when the grand kids shoot them. I'm sure they won't miss the three I "borrowed" to glue onto my Flying Pumpkin rocket.

I can't wait to see it. I think it would be perfectly safe as long as it wasn't anger over the crowd. Just like my Easter egg drop, they all had streamers but still came down pretty quick and I would not want me or any kids running towards them to get hit. Good thing they were on the ground before the kids got there.

A screaming monkey would be awesome. The reason my monkey didn't make any noise as he came down on parachute, was because the zip tie was too tight around his neck.

I can't wait to see it. I think it would be perfectly safe as long as it wasn't anger over the crowd. Just like my Easter egg drop, they all had streamers but still came down pretty quick and I would not want me or any kids running towards them to get hit. Good thing they were on the ground before the kids got there.

A screaming monkey would be awesome. The reason my monkey didn't make any noise as he came down on parachute, was because the zip tie was too tight around his neck.

Yeah, I don't think I'd like to be directly under the "bombs" when they came screaming down...

When you did the easter egg drop, what rocket was it, and where were the eggs carried? For the Monkey Loft, we just put the monkey inside the parachute bay. But now I'm thinking about getting a LOC payload bay and filling that up with stuff that needs to get "lofted". It's a 7.5" x 30" bay! You could put a lot of stuff in there! How many monkeys can fit an a bucket that big?

I think if the nose cone were loose enough to fall out under it's own weight, and it was secured to the payload bay with its own shock cord, it could be used to drop all kinds of stuff. Is that the configuration you used -- a payload bay? I've never taken a close look at the "piñata rocket", so I'm not really sure how they are doing these rockets that dump out goodies at the launches.

BTW, adding the 30" payload bay makes the Warlock the size of the Bruiser! 82" tall!

Back