landscape question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
roughly a month ago the gas company 'restored' my lawn after installing a new service line. fill w/ dirt, seed, layer of straw, and some form of netting over the top. any guesses as to how long it will take before the netting degrades? looks to be plastic(nylon?) thanks
Rex

oh joy. guess I'll just have to go out and remove the ruddy thing. wouldn't care if the contractors had done a proper job of putting it in place...but there are several places where the edges are loose, makes it a pain to mow around. thanks,
Rex

Well, once the netting wraps around the mower blade, that'll take care of most of it. :eyeroll: :wink:
That's the worst stuff invented. We find it wrapped around our rental equipment all the time. After about 5 years it finally degrades enough to break up a little...
If you like your mower, pick it up, throw it in the recycling and cover the affected area with straw and new seed. Keep moist. You can run over the straw with thin wheels to pinch the straw into the ground, it will help keep it around.

If it was done right, the mesh should not be visible after the grass has been growing for one season. Unfortunately this is not a good time to start grass seed. Best time is early fall. If you start grass seed in the spring you really need to start in early spring. Maybe it's not a problem up in WI but if I tried starting grass from seed now down here in VA this time of year, most of it would be dead by end of summer.

mid-April is early spring in Wisconsin :). what with all the rain and warm temps the new grass is growing like crazy.
Rex

If it was done right, the mesh should not be visible after the grass has been growing for one season. Unfortunately this is not a good time to start grass seed. Best time is early fall. If you start grass seed in the spring you really need to start in early spring. Maybe it's not a problem up in WI but if I tried starting grass from seed now down here in VA this time of year, most of it would be dead by end of summer.

That's the kicker, right there...
The problem is most installers don't staple it down well enough and the grass pushes up the netting as it grows. Oh, and the other problem I have with the netting is the staples. Metal U's installed in your yard, so when the tops of the staples rust off, you have conveniently placed metal rods to puncture your mower tires...

Back