Flop wing overextension of wing panel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have this problem? The edge of the balsa wing panels where they meet at the hinge seems to get compressed or something so that the outboard folding panel on my flop wing over-extends upward.

IMG_1648.jpg
IMG_1651.jpg

I tried installing a wire wing limiter but it tends to just get torn off at deployment. I can't install a longer/weaker rubber band because then the wingtips don't fully deploy. I've also tried coating the edges where the balsa meets with CA, and even installed small pieces of ply but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone have this problem? The edge of the balsa wing panels where they meet at the hinge seems to get compressed or something so that the outboard folding panel on my flop wing over-extends upward.

Eric,

I'm going to try producing a Micromax model with this folding pattern because it seems like the lightest configuration that repeatable as a kit. There are a couple of hat tricks required to eliminate the hyperextension issue. Normally this isn't a problem on, say, a scissorflop, but this is a design where the alignment is absolutely critical. You're very close on using wire limiters, but you have to use something that is tied deeply into the wing. As the new design develops I'll try to post information here. I'm curious to see if anyone else has a good fix for this problem. Also try the NAR facebook page as folks seem to chime in quickly there.

Josh I just noticed that you use either balsa or ply wing limiters on your Swingshot model. I should have tried that since CA anchors it much better than it would metal. My only excuse is that--I don't have one, it was just the fastest fix I could think of. :facepalm: :eyeroll:

Back