Cordless Drill Battery For Launch Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it should work. Depending on whether it's NiCad or NiMh or LIon would affect how much current it can dump into the ignitors. They may not have enough juice to power a day-long club launch but should have plenty for a private day at the field.

Do you have a good way to make a connector to it?

Seems like it should work. Depending on whether it's NiCad or NiMh or LIon would affect how much current it can dump into the ignitors. They may not have enough juice to power a day-long club launch but should have plenty for a private day at the field.

Do you have a good way to make a connector to it?

I am thinking I should be able to use the ac charger... I need to get my meter out and do some testing.

I've used a 40v lawn mower battery to ignite seven engine clusters with success. Just be sure the rest of the circuit can handle the extra voltage without burning out. What voltage is the drill battery?

I've used a 40v lawn mower battery to ignite seven engine clusters with success. Just be sure the rest of the circuit can handle the extra voltage without burning out. What voltage is the drill battery?

12 Volt. This will be for launching a couple rockets... and I have 2 batteries. Think retired guy launching a couple rockets, out in the middle of grazing land, not a competition / event.

12 Volt. This will be for launching a couple rockets... and I have 2 batteries. Think retired guy launching a couple rockets, out in the middle of grazing land, not a competition / event.

When our club first began we launched all day on 12 volt nicad batteries. You’ll be just fine. An old charger base can be used as a connector/enclosure with a relay if you want to go that way.

I think he means that if you have a spare old charger that fits the battery, disassemble it, remove all the charging bits and rewire it so that it has output leads you can attach to your launcher. You could do the same with the battery holder on an old tool too. That way you’re not jury rigging something to the connectors on the battery - which in many instances are just flat plates.

I think he means that if you have a spare old charger that fits the battery, disassemble it, remove all the charging bits and rewire it so that it has output leads you can attach to your launcher. You could do the same with the battery holder on an old tool too. That way you’re not jury rigging something to the connectors on the battery - which in many instances are just flat plates.

Exactly. It also provides an enclosure to mount a relay if you want.

But if you gut the charger, how will you charge the batteries?:wink:
Surely in the age of 3d printing someone can come up with a good connecter to slip onto the battery. Or just disassemble one of the tools that uses the battery; or bypass the charging circuit. I've thought about it a few times, but never tried using one.

I spent a little time in the barn today. A couple of male spade terminals work nicely in the DeWalt battery.

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

I use a auto starter unit.. It's designed to start your car. It supplies more then enough current to launch any size rocket. It also will start your car after you let it sit with the doors open, interior lights on and radio blasting for too long. It will also power your LiPo battery charger, cell phones, and other accessories that require DC current. The unit I have is now too weak to start a car with, but it is way more then required for any launcher or accessory power. Besides, they come with built in chargers so all you need is an extension cord to charge them.

I fly drones Not well! the 3 cell lipos provide huge current. They have ratings as to how much you can draw I use 30C do not even know exactly what it means. You could go 4 cell 4x3.7=14.8volts!

Back