Parachute Release that fits in BT-50/24mm?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduncan911

Reaction score
Are there any devices similar to the Jolly Logic chute release that fits in a 24mm tube?

One idea I had was to rig up a micro-servo to perform the same function (when it turns, it releases the rubber band).

We're building a minimal diameter rocket that has the potential of hitting a mile or higher.

I want to keep it a single deployment with a streamer-like effect of the parachute tied up until 500' or so. The Jolly Logic is perfect, however it is too large.

I already have some electronics for gps and altimeter that has outputs that I could utilize for this.

An Eggtimer Quark will fit in BT50. My version of a Quark Hot Wire Cutter has the battery and Quark in a BT50 tube, with the chute wrapped around it, Chute Release style. Maybe you could arrange it so the cutter was tethered to the chute by the cutter wire leads. Seems failure prone, though.

I've flown a MD 29mm rocket (Aspire inspired) on just a 5"x12' "Congratulations" mylar party banner - its glint was visible for a long way.

Haven't done it myself, but some guys fly small diameter-high altitude rockets as single deploy only, with a streamer. The little rocket will drift plenty far from 5000 ft to 500 ft, making dual deploy rather meaningless. If it is built well, it will survive the landing. The tracker is the more important piece of electronics in this case.

An Eggtimer Quark will fit in BT50. My version of a Quark Hot Wire Cutter has the battery and Quark in a BT50 tube, with the chute wrapped around it, Chute Release style. Maybe you could arrange it so the cutter was tethered to the chute by the cutter wire leads. Seems failure prone, though.

I've flown a MD 29mm rocket (Aspire inspired) on just a 5"x12' "Congratulations" mylar party banner - its glint was visible for a long way.

I agree with the streamer - I use a 3m long Mylar streamer on my shortened aspire on a g80. The glimmer from the streamer works well.

I also put an efmini in the nose. It fits well in a 29mm and I have dry fit it into an extended 24mm NC.

Jolly Logic is working on a smaller Chute Release, but I don't know how much smaller or how soon it will be available.....unfortunately.

Haven't done it myself, but some guys fly small diameter-high altitude rockets as single deploy only, with a streamer. The little rocket will drift plenty far from 5000 ft to 500 ft, making dual deploy rather meaningless. If it is built well, it will survive the landing. The tracker is the more important piece of electronics in this case.

I'm not at your guys' level, but I think this advice seems highly logical, and likely where I would go were it me.

That would be a very small servo... I’ve done this with 2.5” and an sg90 servo (so far with limited success) but shrinking that down to 24mm would be very challenging.

Back