ultra small Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems pretty cool though for a small diameter rocket. Made for archery so it can probably handle the g forces from a rocket where something this small is needed. Very lightweight The weight of the transmitter, battery, and housing is very light at 75 grains.
The transmitter in the Raven System is extremely powerful and transmits to a range of >10 miles in open, flat country. We have extensively tested the system with the arrow fully embedded in large game animals like Elk and Buffalo in mountainous terrain, and the signal range drops to approximately 1-5 miles in those cases.
I wonder if this would start transmitting at launch.The system is designed to be turned on and “armed” but does not start transmitting until it is released from the bow and the accelerometer is activated. The signal lasts about 24 hours which is more than enough time to recover a mortally wounded animal. The battery is rechargeable using a charger that threads in to the insert and plugs in to USB cable.

The receiver appears to be made by Marshall. Heck, the transmitters may be for them as well. The prices are inline with the Marshall equipment as well. I love the form factor, my Marshall TX easily fits inside an 18mm body tube. One of these days I plan to build a tracked minimum diameter 18mm rocket just to say I did.

Holy pricey, Batman!
Consider you'll blow $300-400 for an FCC TeleGPS and all the ground equipment to GPS/RDF track 29mm MD with a basic radio. If you add a nicer ground radio for more RDF tracking then double it. Throw in a laptop or smart phone and your equal to this. So if you got a need for it and are starting from scratch remember you can never downsize a tracker you already paid a bit of money for. I'm really wanting a 24mm coupler tube sized GPS. But yeah I'll agree precision electronics costs a lot of money. Check out Aim Xtra it's $420. Then you'll have a Yagi, coax, and connectors to buy. So the price seems absurd compared to buying a whole bunch of large trackers that don't fit in any small rockets.

If you use these as intended, it can be quite costly if you loose an arrow. It goes from approx. $30 for a convectional arrow and broad head to about $300 for a new transmitter. Kinda expensive? If you look at the cost of a 1st class trophy hunt nowadays, it can easily run over 10 GRAND! So what's another grand when it comes to going home empty handed or not? Seems a little excessive for hunting but that's me. Trail cams is about as high tech as I get.

Turns a $10k trip into a $11k trip. And if it misses and hits a rock then your out the arrow, and a expensive proprietary receiver. Granted... I'm not rich by any means. Some of us are looking at nice new or used cars at that $11k price range. That's a third of a day worker's yearly salary in some cases. Just a broke college kid here. You can get written permission from a landowner or use state owned public hunting land and still find a trophy deer or other animal by luck and track it's footprints down. Then you want to talk of putting a $1k setup into a 13mm $40 scratch build rocket!????? LOL.

Got a friend that spent $11k on a dog that was trained. It follows all verbal and hand commands. If you want it buy it, but as another flyer posted the other company's radio trackers seem more affordable for a rocket that may crash anyways. What you posted is probably the only tracker that fits in an arrow and I'll give you that.

Back