Quest Q-Jet A3-3 motor test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
Well, I tested the new Quest Q-Jet A3-4 rocket motor.
Check out the video, and go buy yourself some Q-Jet rocket motors, they're super cool!

[video=youtube;tHTevl2GHsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHTevl2GHsY[/video]

Thanks,

We launched 4 of them on Sunday.

Initiators worked flawlessly. Instant ignition.

I suggest very little tape to hold them in or hold the initiator with a clothespin and rest the model onto it. Too much tape will hold the initiator to the motor casing because the exhaust is fairly gentle and will not 'blast' it off like on larger composite motors. Also, on larger motors you may not care if the wires are dragged into the air, but on a small motor it will have a noticable effect on flight.

Starhawks fly very high with the A3-4. Ejection at apogee. Flew some in Estes Make It and Take IT (like the Alpha III) and ejection was very slightly after apogee.

Will need to try some A3-6 motors in teeny Wizard-like models.

Will fly the B motors on June 2.

If using a motor hook, be sure to align a flat of the hex ejection housing with the upper end of the clip. They fit fine that way.

If you'd like, please feel free to share the data you collected in your test.
Sorry, no data. I just wanted to watch one burn.
I'm hoping to fly a B4-4 today, we'll see...
We launched 4 of them on Sunday.

Initiators worked flawlessly. Instant ignition.

I suggest very little tape to hold them in or hold the initiator with a clothespin and rest the model onto it. Too much tape will hold the initiator to the motor casing because the exhaust is fairly gentle and will not 'blast' it off like on larger composite motors. Also, on larger motors you may not care if the wires are dragged into the air, but on a small motor it will have a noticable effect on flight.

Starhawks fly very high with the A3-4. Ejection at apogee. Flew some in Estes Make It and Take IT (like the Alpha III) and ejection was very slightly after apogee.

Will need to try some A3-6 motors in teeny Wizard-like models.

Will fly the B motors on June 2.

If using a motor hook, be sure to align a flat of the hex ejection housing with the upper end of the clip. They fit fine that way.
Actually on the first try, I blew an igniter.
I know the igniter was in the motor all the way.
Second igniter did the job, though.

Thanks,

Back