Recommedations on how to fix a body tube scar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg

Fixing up some old models out of the garage, this is an explorer Aquarius, unfortunately it looks like some adhesive fingerprint left a scar on one of the tubes. Was curious if there was anything I could lay down on top of there that it would get it back to smooth for painting...

was thinking about brushing on some wood glue but worried that may make it worse, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

If it is from the garage, could it be silverfish type eating damage?

regardless, if it is something that has torn / eaten into the layers of the BT, I would simply brush CWF on it and sand...

If it is from the garage, could it be silverfish type eating damage?

regardless, if it is something that has torn / eaten into the layers of the BT, I would simply brush CWF on it and sand...

CWF? Not familiar with that one, is that sanding sealer?
thanks for the tip

I've fixed stuff like this when fins get tore off in moving and storage.
I brush on a few coats of titebond glue (faster drying the better) and sand down.
Yes, you can sand glue if you use 220 and don't force the sanding.
Just let the sandpaper do the work.
FWIW, I coat all my paper tubes inside and out and both sides of my fins, papered or not, with titebond and sand smooth before assembly.
Not the inside of the tube of coarse, that's just protection for the hot ejection gases.
If I can ever get some people to help me get my wet bench up to the 2nd floor apartment I have a build thread of an Original Estes Ranger I promised some time back.
Since I don't have much to do these days, I have plenty of time to do it.

Folks, the body tube is a structural member. Damage to layers requires structural repair not cosmetic.

Gerald

Folks, the body tube is a structural member. Damage to layers requires structural repair not cosmetic.

That's an Explorer Aquarius fuel tank, I believe. Probably it will be alright ;-). If it weren't already glued I'd just rotate that one to face inward where my bad painting would hide it.

What Marc said, pretty much. It looks like only the glassine layer is off, so you just need to seal up the porous kraft layers underneath. I'd use fast CA to harden the fuzz, sand lightly with 320 and follow with a hi-build primer coat. Spot putty at the end if you end up with low spots but I doubt it. Caveat: I normally apply enough primer to fill tube spiral in Estes tubes without further ado.

Back