Estes Saturn V mistake... am I in trouble?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRoll

Reaction score
Getting ready to paint the 1/100 Estes Saturn V, when I noticed that the middle centering ring isn't glued to the body tube. I put glue on the inside of the body tube when I slid the engine mount assembly in, but it must not have been enough, for I can feel and hear the loose joint where the middle centering ring is supposed to be glued in. Obviously there's no way for me to get at it and add glue to the middle centering ring.

The front and rear centering rings are glued to the body tube and have glue fillets. I'm flying it on an E15-4W...nothing with crazy high thrust. But, only having glue on 2 out of the 3 centering rings worries me.

The middle centering ring does add rigidity to to the body tube, especially during transport... but the thrust of the engine will be taken up by only the front and rear centering rings. Any thoughts on this? Am I worried for nothing?

Am I worried for nothing?
I wouldn't worry. It's virtually impossible to get any glue on that joint if you follow the instructions. I just made the fillets I could get to on the top and bottom as big as I could. I don't think it will have any problem with E15.

The peak thrust of the E15/E20 is about 8 pounds. Hold the rocket and push on the MMT with 8 pounds of force and see what happens.

If you're really concerned, pop small holes in 3 or 4 places on the BT-101 above the CR, then inject white glue. Finish over the holes with kleenex impregnated with wood glue or diluted wood filler and then sand smooth.

Back