idle gaming question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
curious, in games where mouselook is an option, do you invert the Y-axis (airplane style)? or leave it as is.
Rex

I haven't played in a while, but when I did, I inverted the Y axis.

When playing with game pads I always invert the Y-axis. I am the only gamer I know personally that still does it. I think my mouselook games are inverted as well.

I was installing a newer version of gzDoom(3.3.2) and was going through the keybinds and such when I got curious. I am in the invert the y-axis camp, just seemed natural to me to do so :).
Rex

Invert - I started with xwing vs tie-fighter in the 90s where "pull back" to go up was logical, and it has always seemed more natural to me...

On cabelas deer hunter games I had the yoke inverted for old ps2. Everything else no. On flight sims like FS2004 or DCS with gigs of addons I use X52 or Sidewinder joystick. The mouse was to click switches only in virtual cockpit. Carenado made some realistic mods for civil flight sims as training Tools they saved thousands on flight training. If you used some flight sim games as training tools they help immensely when taking flying lessons. On an X52 it has a mini toggle on throttle hat that acts as a mouse oddly. I had to drop a lot of gaming though for college engineering courses. Pulling yoke towards you on airplane like Cessna 172 is real up command. Pushing forward away from you was down. Aileron was left and right rotate of yoke. Left and right pedals controlled yaw. Met a few real pilots claim they wreck cars by using pedals in car like aircraft rudder pedals. They weren't in car logic train of thought. You had to rotate both foot pedals on Cessna forward to stop with toes. I lol'd so hard when some said they wrecked cars using that logic. Left and right brakes independent in plane on ground.

Joystick in games lets you do elevator up or down while roll while yaw. For a coordinated climb or coordinated descent while turning changing heading with enough yaw input that you don't slide awkwardly and lose speed. In shoot them flight games it's a massive advantage over keyboard players and generally has a big effect on what you can do. Depending on how Arcade the game is. You generally can't play a decent flight sim without a joystick with realism torque and p factor settings maxed out.

The older Microsoft genre FS2002-FSX were notoriously attrocious to players trying to fly helicopters with keyboard. They would crash like flies hitting fly traps in multiplayer when new to game on keyboard. It was quite funny. They would complain a lot and first thing people would say was get a joystick. The planes they could somewhat manage on keyboard but not gracefully. In Ww2 flight sims like IL2 they could not turn and climb or descend well on keyboard only while firing cannons or machine guns due to computer would beep rapidly when too many keys mashed at once. The only way to enjoy those games in my opinion was with a joystick. Even a $20 arcade stick beat nothing at all complained many.

To this day, I cannot play any game with a Y axis control without first inverting it do to the PC game I cut my teeth on many moons ago, Parallax's Descent.

Back