Fatal explosion with possible rocketry connection?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with Bat-mite, I think it would be a good idea to lock this thread.

Stephen Beal has been a friend of mine for about 15 years. I met him when is younger son was in the cadet program of our Civil Air Patrol squadron. At the time, I was helping with the model rocket program in the squadron, and we decided to have the cadets build a large rocket, as well as the official CAP program.

We did this with 2-3 rockets at the one squadron, as well as got him to assist with others when I moved on to a different unit. We also teamed up to build several large projects over the years, including the one in my avatar. He decided to get out of rocketry about 3 years ago, and sold off his rockets and motor casings. Now, I also know he made his one fireworks at one time, we talked about doing some, but never did. We just didn't seem to have time, and we also wondered about the legality of it at the time.

Last Wednesday, I was visited by members of the Orange County Sheriff Dept., as well as the FBI. Stephan had given them my name for a reference. I spent about 2 hours with them, basically teaching them Rocketry 101. I also had another visit Thursday night, with some other officers of both depts. I also informed our club president of these actions.

While I know he had some chemicals around the place, the very idea of him doing this is beyond ludicrous. While anything is possible, this pegs the improbability meter.

Now, having said all this, I'd like to request that this thread be locked. There is still legal issues pending on this, and I'd like to see Stephen have a fair shot at this.

Phil Laisure

The speculation here serves no purpose. Let the police do their due diligence.

We're done here.

An Update:

Steve Shannon said:
https://abc7.com/prosecutors-dropping-charges-tied-to-fatal-aliso-viejo-explosion/3535454/

An excerpt from the article:

“In a weekend court filing, prosecutors said it's now unclear if items found at Beal's Long Beach home can be considered destructive devices under the law. Prosecutors asked the court to drop the charge.”

This is for the charges related to his arrest. He was not arrested for the murder.

Steve Shannon
L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back