Fatal explosion with possible rocketry connection?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Destructive Devices are typically Claymores, Grenades, Mortar rounds, Artillery shells, Anti-material rifles or guns with bores over .5" aka .50cal all manner of things that make fairly large booms!

Wikepedia has a fair description of what Destructive Devices are.

Bullsh*t. Destructive device is not an assault weapon. One is legal in other states. Destructive device is felony in other states without class 3 paperwork. You are a grade A idiot if you confuse the two you deserve the felony.
Andrew, Andrew, count to ten. It works.
No need to get hot under the collar.

Someone has never heard of sarcasm. And really really likes to type

My sense of humor doesn't register sometimes…....I was trying to be "ironical".

I really should use those little faces...what do you kids call them? emoticons ?:)

Last edited:
Andrew, Andrew, count to ten. It works.
No need to get hot under the collar.
It's absurd a parachute deployment charge for a hobby constructed and stored assembled a certain way counts the same as a military Javelin Missile. I had to walk away and count to a 100. I've heard pyrodex is better and that just not assembling anything until at a launch site for a parachute deploy charge is a smarter option then using all assembled parachute deploy charges immediately. Like Tannerite an exploding target, you don't mix it until your at a gun range ready to shoot it for recreation. Because once mixed is explosive.

My sense of humor doesn't register sometimes…....I was trying to be "ironical".

I really should use those little faces...what do you kids call them? emoticons ?:)
I was going to actually use the word irony but chose to use sarcasm as its more often misunderstood.
nice work on the smiley face.:cool:
speaking of ironical:
quote-how-ironical-that-it-is-by-means-of-speech-that-man-can-degrade-himself-below-the-level-of.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the victims. Let's take a moment here to remember that Ildiko Krajnyak was killed and others are hurt, and that they have a family, and friends who care about them.

precursor chemicals, energetic materials, e-matches, variously sized cardboard and modified rocket tubes

Does it sound to anyone else like they could have caught him with an electronic bay and ejection charges?

precursor chemicals, energetic materials, e-matches, variously sized cardboard and modified rocket tubes

Does it sound to anyone else like they could have caught him with an electronic bay and ejection charges?
its entirely possible, its also possible he didn't have anything to do with the explosion. but it seems now he is in some deep ish. He might beat the rap but he wont beat the ride. Dudes life as he knew it is over now regardless of whether he did it or not.

I imagine a job interview with ASC going like this.

[video]https://youtu.be/CMNry4PE93Y[/video]

Why sure!! But then when you add the cell phone, well that's really bad.

Yes I was in San Diego yesterday and there was some hysteria on the local news.. The phrase "He Flew Rockets in the Desert" was featured.. I missed LDRS due to a death in the family but this news story has got to be concerning while the mega LDRS 37 is on 130 miles away near Harris Ranch..
[FONT=&quot]Stephen Beal Is he one of ours??[/FONT]

I imagine a job interview with ASC going like this.

[video]https://youtu.be/CMNry4PE93Y[/video]
No it's worse. I've seen people killed in three separate shooting events by gang violence and just had to deal with it Bro. So it left me with a thousand mile stare that scared the sh*t of all but military recruiters. It's a bad day when you hear Doppler of bullets incoming and security yelling oh f***. And armed felons start shooting innocent people on anti gun school zones. Told a nurse I needed a bandaid after got hit by truck. Her reaction, OH MY GOD!!!! You need to see a hospital. My reaction, I need a bandaid and I won't leave until I get one. I'm not suEing over a flesh wound. I can walk. I can move arm. I'm fine. I've seen worse like people shot and killed. She handed me a banaid as I was bleeding on floor. They wanted me to sign forms. I said some rude words. I not sign forms. Lol. Some interviews go better when I'm in better mood and focus on company and career goals and basically act happy. Army recruiter call me tough guy after told him got hit by truck went to advanced fluids class same day. Never miss a Dr. Margraves class. That prof is extremely hard. I told him I was dork. He laughed and said Army had white sands missile range.

Coffee and talk to veterans help the most. They seen a lot worse than school shootings. Anyways veterans and I no talk of bad days to interview HR people. Our bad days scare zombie kid and HR staff. They wince or hurl at the horror we survived. Best to smile at interview and talk happy talk. Coworkers show me chainsaw accident pictures as joke. I no flinch or wince. They literally screamed in horror. I told them seen people die was worse. That gives you this live free die hard stare. It won't fade off. They were horrified that trolling didn't work. Veteran buddy laughed too. He got blown up and carried seven soldiers in pieces back in Stan'. He went through worse than I did. We both had jobs. We didn't seek help not want it. Looooool. You seek help you'll get discriminated against.

No it's worse. I've seen people killed in three separate shooting events by gang violence and just had to deal with it Bro. So it left me with a thousand mile stare that scared the sh*t of all but military recruiters. It's a bad day when you hear Doppler of bullets incoming and security yelling oh f***. And armed felons start shooting innocent people on anti gun school zones. Told a nurse I needed a bandaid after got hit by truck. Her reaction, OH MY GOD!!!! You need to see a hospital. My reaction, I need a bandaid and I won't leave until I get one. I'm not suEing over a flesh wound. I can walk. I can move arm. I'm fine. I've seen worse like people shot and killed. She handed me a banaid as I was bleeding on floor. They wanted me to sign forms. I said some rude words. I not sign forms. Lol. Some interviews go better when I'm in better mood and focus on company and career goals and basically act happy. Army recruiter call me tough guy after told him got hit by truck went to advanced fluids class same day. Never miss a Dr. Margraves class. That prof is extremely hard. I told him I was dork. He laughed and said Army had white sands missile range.

Coffee and talk to veterans help the most. They seen a lot worse than school shootings. Anyways veterans and I no talk of bad days to interview HR people. Our bad days scare zombie kid and HR staff. They wince or hurl at the horror we survived. Best to smile at interview and talk happy talk. Coworkers show me chainsaw accident pictures as joke. I no flinch or wince. They literally screamed in horror. I told them seen people die was worse. That gives you this live free die hard stare. It won't fade off. They were horrified that trolling didn't work. Veteran buddy laughed too. He got blown up and carried seven soldiers in pieces back in Stan'. He went through worse than I did. We both had jobs. We didn't seek help not want it. Looooool. You seek help you'll get discriminated against.

I need to look you up to see if they really did let you handle rocket motors and such during your time at school....

I need to look you up to see if they really did let you handle rocket motors and such during your time at school....

Plot twist- Andrew ASC and Andrew Lathrop are the same guy....

I have had personally seen Lathrop fly several times, so no. He can be inartful on his forum posts but he's pretty alright to have dinner with.

It's always worth remembering that on the Internet nobody even knows you're a dog.Internet_dog.jpeg

So this thread is about a destructive device, not my posts. Hopefully this family gets better. That Fox article had some creepy comments below how people thought the guy collected life insurance.

as per the national firearms act
26 U.S. Code § 5845

(f) Destructive device
The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes

If this guy was using HPR supplies and chemicals to make bombs, then this does not bode well for us. However, if the stuff he was using to make bombs was purchased in parallel to his rocketry supplies, then maybe we get a pass.

Hopefully he gets released due to lack of evidence (assuming he did not do it). If he did do it, and if they can show that he used the same chemicals and supplies that we use to make rockets, then I don't know what will happen.

It makes it all the worth while to stick to low power rockets not needing any certifications and anything that can be bought on the internet or in Hobby Lobby (if there was one close, and I had the money). When our building burnt almost 2 months ago, I told the fireman I had rocket engines in my apartment. He immediately sounded an explosives warning. Where they were stored, if the fire ever got to them, they would have fizzled away, not popped off. The apartment complex immediately changed their rules that nothing like rocket engines, ammunition OR Firearms can be stored or on the complex property at any time. Although, they will allow me to build my rocket kits here still...
All it takes is ONE stupid person (or even a smart one) doing ONE wrong thing to ruin it all for all of us.
We (meaning many of the total residents here in the complex) tried for 6 months to get the people evicted that burnt our building, but they wouldn't do it. They said they couldn't afford to have another vacant apartment.
Now...They have 8 they won't be able to rent for a year or more. And from understanding, their insurance is denying their claim because they are not happy with the Fire Marshal's report of accidental fire. They expect someone to be jailed. So they have put a temp roof and back wall over the building and there it sits.
Mean while, many of the people lost everything and like us, had no insurance. 2 of the 7 did, but they denied another apartment here and moved out...permanently.
Don't mean to go off topic, but if he is or not guilty of the crime...it could impact the hobby based on media coverage that "Rockets" might have been involved.

as per the national firearms act
26 U.S. Code § 5845

(f) Destructive device
The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes
Alot to interpret there, which is the problem as it pertains to our interests. Reading this partial definition I come away with anyone in to HPR, that is storing and or transporting a reload, BP and or an e-match could find themselves defending themselves if for whatever reason they found themselves in the cross hairs of the authorities.

Or am I being a bit paranoid and dramatic?

"The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,"

"Rocket" here is a subset of "(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas" Our rockets are not intentionally explosive, incendiary or contain poison gas so we should be okay on that. ATF has declared APCP as a non explosive so we are okay there. Black powder and e matches may be a different story though. If you use more then 7 grams of black powder you are over the quarter ounce limit for explosive charge. Most flights dont use that much but some do. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

You can't be paranoid enough with the NFA and the ATF. Here's an example of a European legal Russian collectible military item deemed improperly destroyed for US import and thus forever banned. See the ATF never really specifies stuff too clearly even to gun industries. IO got caught selling improperly destroyed machine guns once and they were selling parts kits with partial receiver pieces. In the IO case. Buyers of psh-44 machine gun parts kits were notified by the ATF that they were in possession of machine guns, ATF agents went door to door and collected the devices from customer list in exchange for no Charges. The ATF went hard on IO top manufacturing staff etc. Stag Arms also had the worst ATF issue with storage violations, of unmarked receivers of machine guns. People get felonies and it's not funny. Anyways. In gun collector hobby they have this big stink of torch cut receivers. Some methods like cutting weren't deemed destroyed enough later on.

https://www.atf.gov/file/97446/download

Here's that product for sale to other nations. Note they can't sell to US.
https://www.rusmilitary.com/html/deact_gp30.htm

From the agency that also calls a shoestring in the right position, a machine gun.

Alot to interpret there, which is the problem as it pertains to our interests. Reading this partial definition I come away with anyone in to HPR, that is storing and or transporting a reload, BP and or an e-match could find themselves defending themselves if for whatever reason they found themselves in the cross hairs of the authorities.

"The term “destructive device” shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon;"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back