Fatal explosion with possible rocketry connection?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone take someone named Mushroom seriously?

Anybody know this Beal? Sounds like a Blackrock or FAR guy, maybe?

Sounds like the neighbors are just guessing. "OMG! He has an unusual hobby! He must be dangerous!"

Which isn't to say that jealousy hasn't caused otherwise rational people to behave badly, only that the link between rocketry and bomb making is darn thin.

But you know that.

Sounds like the neighbors are just guessing. "OMG! He has an unusual hobby! He must be dangerous!"

Which isn't to say that jealousy hasn't caused otherwise rational people to behave badly, only that the link between rocketry and bomb making is darn thin.

But you know that.

Your sound logic and measured response won't keep others here from clutching their pearls and running for the fainting couches, unfortunately.

That's L2 ROC IIRC. Sad day for all involved.

Edit: fr. Mike Ostby:

The Rocketry Organization of California confirms that Stephen Beal was once a member of ROC. He has not been a member in recent years.*

As a family oriented club, ROC is saddened by the Aliso Viejo event.

ROC and it’s members have been contacted by the press, however, this event is not a hobby rocketry story therefore ROC will have no further comment.

The Rocketry Organization of California is a non-profit corporation established to provide a safe and legal environment for its members to enjoy hobby rocketry.

Last edited:
Not arrested for the explosion but for having an "unregistered explosive device". If law enforcement were to search all of our garages how many of us could be in trouble?

"unregistered explosive device" sounds a bit broad. Could that be an e-match? What in our normal "arsenal" could be construed as an "unregistered explosive device".

would you any less dead had it been registered?

I think you missed the point.

My question has less to do with this "unconfirmed" report than it has to do with the potential, if any, for law enforcement to view our standard or common practices, such as storing and or transporting, BP or an e-match, or reloads of AP or LP BP motors, or a fully or partially assembled ejection charge. In other words what legal risk are some of us unknowingly putting ourselves at.

What in our normal "arsenal" could be construed as an "unregistered explosive device".

You mean like a 32 gallon Tupperware tote full of BP motors?

I doubt that many cops would bat an eye, but I can easily see in our current risk averse culture, having some media people describe that as having 30 pounds of gunpowder in my basement, or some equally misleading statement.

You mean like a 32 gallon Tupperware tote full of BP motors?

I doubt that many cops would bat an eye, but I can easily see in our current risk averse culture, having some media people describe that as having 30 pounds of gunpowder in my basement, or some equally misleading statement.

FAKE NEWS!

Sounds like some very confused reports. One person said that he took the rockets into the desert and launched them. Now someone is saying they made them for the movies. The latter should be confirmable.

If I were law enforcement, I would seriously be looking into her financial situation. She owed somebody money and didn't pay up is my guess.

Sounds like some very confused reports. One person said that he took the rockets into the desert and launched them. Now someone is saying they made them for the movies. The latter should be confirmable. ...

It's pretty typical that the initial reports are confused. On their online stories, NPR has a disclaimer now that it's a developing story and a lot of stuff they report now may not be borne out when all of the information is in. On this case, reporters are probably trolling up the street looking for anyone who's willing to talk. "He took some video from his rockets" can become "He made movies from his rockets" and "He made rockets for the movies" pretty easily, especially if there are kids involved in repeating the stories. If he builds HPR in his driveway, I'm totally not surprised that's the thing that most neighbors remember about him.

My understanding* is that cops often look for a lesser charge that they can hold a suspect on until they can gather enough evidence to file the bigger charges. If he did actually blow up a building, there's a pretty good chance he has one or more bombs in his garage or car. It's not that different from a cop stopping a car for a taillight out when they really want to search it for drugs. It's possible that he got held for live ejection charges in his garage, but I'd be pretty surprised.

* If I'm wrong, please correct me!

Remember this is California where you have to have a pyrotechicians license to possess or transport high power rocket motors.

The 11-page complaint states that a search warrant was served at Beal's Long Beach home, where authorities found two competed improvised explosive devices, three firearms, as well as "precursor chemicals, energetic materials, e-matches, variously sized cardboard and modified rocket tubes -- all known to be chemical precursors and component parts of IEDs."
Neighbors described Beal as an ex-boyfriend of Ildiko Krajnyak-Vestil, the 48-year-old Trabuco Canyon resident and day spa owner who was killed in the Tuesday blast. They also said Beal was a hobbyist interested in model rockets .

https://abc7.com/2-ieds-found-at-home-of-aliso-viejo-victims-ex-boyfriend/3488183/

I really hope this does not affect the hobby we all enjoy.

Not arrested for the explosion but for having an "unregistered explosive device". If law enforcement were to search all of our garages how many of us could be in trouble?

"unregistered explosive device" sounds a bit broad. Could that be an e-match? What in our normal "arsenal" could be construed as an "unregistered explosive device".

Any ejection charge

I think you missed the point.

My question has less to do with this "unconfirmed" report than it has to do with the potential, if any, for law enforcement to view our standard or common practices, such as storing and or transporting, BP or an e-match, or reloads of AP or LP BP motors, or a fully or partially assembled ejection charge. In other words what legal risk are some of us unknowingly putting ourselves at.

Remember this is California where you have to have a pyrotechicians license to possess or transport high power rocket motors.

Can we continue this discussion, and maybe talk about how we can more closely follow the law so that it doesn't get tightened around us?

For example:
Am I allowed to own black powder for dual deploy ejection charges? Can I have it in my car on my way to a launch?

Am I allowed to have high power motors in my car when I am on my way to a launch?

Maybe we can continue this on another thread?

From the article you linked "The 11-page complaint states that a search warrant was served at Beal's Long Beach home, where authorities found two competed improvised explosive devices, three firearms, as well as "precursor chemicals, energetic materials, e-matches, variously sized cardboard and modified rocket tubes -- all known to be chemical precursors and component parts of IEDs."

It sure sounds like the hobby that we all love is getting mixed up with some bad stuff. If this guy is guilty, I hope our safe and enjoyable hobby doesn't take the blame for enabling a killer.

Please cite a source.

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/California-Modroc-Regs.pdf

(4) Pyrotechnic Operator--Rockets First Cl
ass may conduct and is restricted to all
activities in connection with
research experiments, production, transportation, fuel
loading and launching of all types of experime
ntal rockets. Such ope
rator shall also be
responsible for the actions
and conduct of all assistants. Operators licensed under
subsection (b) are also required to obtain
a local permit from the authority having
jurisdiction prior to all launches.
(5) Pyrotechnic Operator--Rockets Second Cl
ass may conduct and is restricted to all
activities in connection with
research experiments, production, transportation, fuel
loading and launching of all types of solid fu
el experimental rockets only. Such operator
shall also be responsible for th
e actions and conduct of all as
sistants. Operators licensed
under subsection (b) are also required to obt
ain a local permit from the authority having
jurisdiction prior to all launches.
(6) Pyrotechnic Operator--Rockets Third Class
may purchase, transport, store, and launch
high power rockets. Experimental high power rocket motors may only be imported,
exported, and wholesaled by indi
viduals or companies holdi
ng valid import, export, or
wholesale licenses. Pyrotechnic Operators-
-Third Class may only purchase high powered
rocket motors from licensed wholesalers.

How can anyone take someone named Mushroom seriously?

Anybody know this Beal? Sounds like a Blackrock or FAR guy, maybe?

My friend Ron Toadstool laughed at the guy's name when I told him about Mushroom Montana.

Yeah I'm logging off before I say worse: I didn't turn sacrasm mode on.

Two very different classes of weapons bud. Assault weapon semi auto copy of AK47/M16/FAL/G3. The military full auto versions, one trigger pull multiple shots are machine guns which are NFA class 3 items, not to be confused with semi auto clones assault weapons or explosive launcher ie destructive devices. M1A clone of M14 is exempt in cali. Pre ban hi cap mags a-ok. Usually firearms no button or featureless AR-15 = felony assault weapon there, just a messed up anti gun state. Do not ever confuse the two. The "destructive device" term is used for explosives or explosive type "launchers" you know military grade M79 or M203 or Mikor 40mm HE lobbers. 20mm Anzio "cannons" breech loading up to large bore smokeless powder breech loaded antique WW2 or newer artillery pieces. Artillery shell simulators, SEMTEX, C-4, artillery shell fuzes, DET CORD, and other explosives materials assembled into IED etc or pipe bomb are likely to fall under destructive device. I want to say the official ATF terms of destructive device were bore size larger than 0.50 cal. An M136 AT4 or M72 or RPG etc would definitely be a destructive device. In most states you can file paperwork class 3 NFA related to buy a 40mm M203 GL and even find chalk rounds for it. If this dude was making pipe bombs etc with rocketry material he's a goner. In other free states you can buy off the shelf AR-15 parts kits and STANAG 30 round magazines as if it's candy and assault weapons is a mythical term for semi auto military clone of sporting rifle with standard capacity service issue magazines. Normally any kind of destructive device charge is a felony charge.

California itself is so messed up of a state they have a .50 bmg sniper rifle ban. They also have a whole bunch of useless magazine bans to make people felons with what is off the shelf buyable in many other states and generally have the toughest anti gun laws and an entire list banned firearms that simply appear close to "looks" of military weapons. In my opinion it did nothing but increase crime of violent criminals and disarm lawful citizens and put lawful citizens at a severe firepower disadvantage compared to armed criminal organizations with zero intentions of following laws.

Many of these were perfectly legal weapons in other states that are simply BANNED in Cali, because it's Cali. LOL.
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/awguide.pdf

Now-A-Days anything home made with 2 wires and a dab of something flammable on the end of them(e-match, igniter) is considered a destructive device. Having them in a tube with a few grains or more of BP and you have an IED, that is until you can convince, prove to the authorities otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back