Estes Explorer Aquarius - to fly or not to fly?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg

Well almost done with Assembly after pulling it out if the garage, amazing looking model and a fair sound of work getting everything lined up.

debating whether to fly it or not, had mixed luck over the years with these heavier Estes models, I had a beautifully finished deep space transport that lawn darted when the shock cord snapped for example...

Anyone have any experience flying this one and if so any tips?

My standard response would be that *all* rockets should fly at least once, although I understand the reluctance.

A more nagging concern to me is how you're actually supposed to paint that thing after it's assembled. It seems like there's no good way to get paint near the joints between the main BT and the pods. (Note that I wonder about this on a lot of rockets). This is one of the things that would seem to get easier when you upscale, since there's more room to get hands/sprayers/brushes/whatever into those hard-to-reach places.

I flown mine many times on D12's. Finish building it, give it about 4 or 5 coats of white paint to cover all the spots. I brush painted the canopy part gloss black and it turned out fine. Lots of decals. Take it to the pad singing "This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius" and you will be a big hit with all the more mature hippie chicks from the 60's! An Austin Powers outfit with a "Yeah Baby, its Shaggariffic" and you might revive the Summer of Love and Flower Power here in the 21st Century.

View attachment 344675

Well almost done with Assembly after pulling it out if the garage, amazing looking model and a fair sound of work getting everything lined up.

debating whether to fly it or not, had mixed luck over the years with these heavier Estes models, I had a beautifully finished deep space transport that lawn darted when the shock cord snapped for example...

Anyone have any experience flying this one and if so any tips?

Go to Vermont in January and fly it when there is two feet of snow on the ground.

My standard response would be that *all* rockets should fly at least once, although I understand the reluctance.

A more nagging concern to me is how you're actually supposed to paint that thing after it's assembled. It seems like there's no good way to get paint near the joints between the main BT and the pods. (Note that I wonder about this on a lot of rockets). This is one of the things that would seem to get easier when you upscale, since there's more room to get hands/sprayers/brushes/whatever into those hard-to-reach places.

Rattle Can it like a 5yr old!

Kick the tires and light the fires..

Opinions Vary.... It's a soulless toy until it's been flown.

I tend to agree, although I have seen others (and experienced myself) the odd fact that the probability of a bad first flight outcome is directly proportionate to the time spent finishing the rocket!

Here is a sad example of an amazing rocket that went south, and not in the good Aussie way.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...e-build-for-my-Level-2&highlight=Suicide+king

(Although choice of rocket names could have been better!)

Your item is only a model at this point......

Once flown it then elevates its status and becomes a Model Rocket!

I flown mine many times on D12's. Finish building it, give it about 4 or 5 coats of white paint to cover all the spots. I brush painted the canopy part gloss black and it turned out fine. Lots of decals. Take it to the pad singing "This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius" and you will be a big hit with all the more mature hippie chicks from the 60's! An Austin Powers outfit with a "Yeah Baby, its Shaggariffic" and you might revive the Summer of Love and Flower Power here in the 21st Century.

While I applaud the creativity and whimsy of your response, I struggle to find an emoji that properly responds to this. Well Done.

Back